FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Lost and fearful

MR TREV
Community Member

Hello there, I thought id never need this kind of help but it seems i was wrong.

I'm a male 55 years old and although i have never had a good life it until the last couple of years been ok i guess.

Keeping it simple for now about 2 years ago i tore my achilies tendon in leg and ever since then things have not gone right.

I am a diabetic type 2 so my injuries became complicated and long drawn out still ongoing.Because of these Ive virtually had to stop full time work just using last of leave now after 33 years in same job.

With no real income right now i applied to centerlink but was told i earned to much due to these payments. This also meant i did not get aa concession card to help out. Medical visits 4 or so times a week to various sections does not help either. not to mention the costs of meds etc.I did finally get a superannuation insurance claim but its tiny and don't know how long it will keep up .

I have no family,no friends anywhere near to help so im doing this alone. Ive seen my gp he has sent me to see a mental health professional end of this week but its a lot of money per session.

My head is going round and round all the time asleep or awake. Lost, confused and fearful of the future with this. Thank anyone who reads this.

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

It is a low point in your life and 33 years in the same job, Centrelink and they way those systems work can be daunbting.

Govt departments work with facts and laws. The fact that you still work and your income is more than the threshold for benefits is no surprise to me. The question to ask them is- if you resigned from you current job due to inability to carry out your working tasks due to injury, would you receive unemployment benefits and how would that work with a disability?

About 11 years ago disability pension rules tightened, I'd guess you wouldnt be entitled to that. Bare in mind also that Centrelink dont often accept your doctors letters as to your restrictions, they would have their own doctors to evaluate.

You can see the system is complex and rules based. 

So I would return to Centrelink via an appointment. Take along any documents. Ask them crucial questions-

• I am unable to work in my current job due to my injury. If I use all my sick/annual leave can I apply for sickness benefits?
  • If I resign due to not being able to carry out my work tasks (and no other suitable work offered) can I apply for unemployment benefits and how would me seeking work with a restriction play out?

In my experience, injured people be it not from work or from a workplace injury, do suffer the system. They never come out on top. Eg you'll use up all your sick days and leave while sitting at home. That's the reality I'm afraid.

Protect yourself. Centrelink are obliged to provide all the information. Also study their website.

TonyWK