FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Looking for work and feeling low

rh456
Community Member

Hi All,

Greetings from cool, but Sunny Adelaide. Never posted on these forums before...so hear goes. I have not held a "steady job/regular full time work for 7 years. This is because I left what was a pretty steady job in the healthcare sector for what i thought was going to be more opportunity, more hours, more money in the private sector. Unfortunately after the three month probation period they told me suddenly and without warning "sorry its not working out" and ever since then have not held a full time job. I applied for hundreds of jobs, with only limited replies and even more limited opportunities for interview. I had a few contract positions/casual jobs since then but I need some stability (for financial as well as other reasons).

I have also had major illness with breast cancer throughout 2015 which turned my world upside down. I was not working at the time and then needed to go on benefits again (at the same time going through treatment). I was feeling very depressed during this time and now looking back wish I had taken action by going to the GP to talk about how I was feeling.

To the present time, I am gutted after I was unsuccessful in gaining employment at a hospital which I was ideally suited and have asked them for feedback but I am yet to hear back (again disappointment). Luckily though I do have a one day a week permanent position  (this ends the end of july - per contract) and some casual typing from home which works out only 1-2 days a week.

Again feeling very low about my worth, but I guess I can count myself lucky that I am still alive and cancer free. Hoping that some time in the future something will come up but feel increasingly low.

2 Replies 2

WeAllNeedHelp
Community Member

Hi , thanks for your post

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Have you tried hassling the places you failed to gain employment with for feed back ? Keep onto them and demand feedback! I know myself I don't do well in interviews (not saying that you are too) and I feel I have been turned down positions based on this too unfortunately.

I hope something pops up for you soon as I have been in a a similar situation where I have applied for what seems like hundreds of jobs with minimal replies and interview opportunities. Keep up the positive thoughts!

Thank you Weallneedhelp

I have emailed the interviewer but have yet to hear back. All I want is some feedback.

In addition I feel that I can't do anything right, say anything right and feel so alone. I don't have any close friends, any that I really talk to about my insecurities, worries etc. I dont have that "group of friends" who go out regularly and I feel like I am missing out all the time. This makes me feel so low and think that there is something wrong with me. I feel like I am the one apologising all the time especially to my mother (we live together) and feel that I can't do anything right.

I also feel like a disappointment, not only to my other, but also to others.