FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

LONELY

grazzie
Community Member

I've just turned 87 and spend a lot of time at home alone. I've got a plethora of health problems that necessitate continual visits to hospitals, and doctors and undergoing medical procedures.

I had a best friend who passed away just before Christmas and I've really felt his passing.

I'm a gay man so there are not many clubs that I can join to meet other men my age. 

As each day rolls into the next I get down-hearted and sad.

I try to be positive but it's hard if you're alone. My only outlet is in writing, but I can't do that all day long. I want to chat with people about anything and everything.

Well, here's hoping.

4 Replies 4

Whatsinaname
Community Member

HI Grazzie,

Welcome to the forums, they aren't active all the time but there is a few threads that a few people pop in and update regularly and you're more than welcome to get involved.

Otherwise I'm more than happy to lend an ear if you want to chat here.

PLA
Community Member

Hey Grazzie,

Just want to say I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your best friend. I can't imagine what you must be going through. Also, I love a good chat if you want to on here : )

grazzie
Community Member

Well, thank you for responding to my post. At my age it's hard to lose a close friend because they cannot be replaced. We used to drop in on each other for a coffee and / or chat and I'm missing the human connection rather keenly. To add to the problem, he was not close to his family. He died when I was in hospital so before I could do anything one of his sons just dealt with the will and had him cremated. We didn't have a service where we could begin the grieving process..

I live in a beautiful part of the world so when my health permits there are many sights and things to do. 

When you're by yourself all the time it's easy to fall into darkness and give in. I'm trying to avoid that as it's unhealthy and can hasten your demise. So yesterday I thought if I can't enjoy face-to-face communication maybe chatting online would help. 

Once again, thanks

Hi Grazzie,

The Mornington Peninsula truly is beautiful and there is amazing things to see.

I can't offer you face-to-face human connection but I can offer to chat online when you need to release some thoughts.

I'm truly sorry to hear about your friend and that you were unable to say good bye in the way you would have liked but I'm sure he knows how you feel and that would be more than enough. I know if I was to pass and someone cared enough to be upset that they weren't available to be involved I'd feel absolutely blessed.

Try not to be too hard on yourself for something that wasn't in your control.