FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Just a Post to Say Hello

eScootsy
Community Member

Good morning, hope everyone is doing okay.

I just wanted to post to say hello, nice to meet you.

I was suggested this forum as a place to talk to people when I messsaged BB to say I'm really struggling with loneliness. I'm turning 30 this year, I haven't got many friends I meet face-to-face and I feel really isolated online when I don't get replies from friends for days. (I know they're struggling with their energy, mental health and physical conditions, but it's still really hard.)

I barely have any energy to do anything social outside of my area and I did a look around for clubs and couldn't find anything that accessible for me/that matched my schedule. I'm hoping to start a new hobby next year. 

Currently I have an electric bike and an eScooter, I work full-time and I like to read, watch movies and explore new areas. Hope to get along with everyone and find connections/make new friends. 

9 Replies 9

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear eScootsy,

A very warm and caring welcome to our forums..

I’m sorry your struggling with loneliness, it’s a horrible emotion and one that I struggle with a lot…I live in an isolated little village with nothing going on ever…unless I want to travel to a major town….I have only one friend in real life but many many friends here on the forums…I believe that people don’t really need to meet each other to become real friends….

I have seen those electric bikes around my area (central west NSW)…they look like fun to ride…never seen an escooter before….are they fun to ride?

What type of movies do you like to watch…..I like fantasy movies the most..

Just wanted to pop in and say hello to you, and hope we can get to know you better..

My kindest thoughts with my care Dear eScootsy,

Grandy..

eScootsy
Community Member

Good afternoon Grandy. Thanks for replying to my post. I thought there might be more activity on the forums, but I'm not surprised since I personally thought forums were pretty dead (lol).

I'm staying with my parents. They live outside of a small town. Not much happens here except a monthly market, which I missed when I visited because Dad didn't want to stop there.

I have online friends, pretty much all my friendships are online now if I'm being honest about it. It isn't enough for me anymore. It worked for years but now it doesn't. 

I did enjoy riding eScooters but then the government changed the local laws and I live right next to a police station so I decided to get a bike instead. Riding on the road is a different experience and has been frightening at times but the bike gives me the ability to ride much further than my scooter. I really enjoy it, cycling on forever through the local parks. 

I like fantasy, science fiction (though there have not been good major release science fiction movies recently) and I love horror. I find horror movies very comforting but I have definitely felt the effects of my fluctuating mental health through my lack of desire to go to the cinemas or leave my local area. 

Do you have any pets? What do you enjoy doing? Hope to hear from you again.

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi eScootsy,

Welcome to the forums, I hope you find what you are looking for here! We are a supportive community who only want to see you thrive.

Making friends gets harder as you get older, but you just have to keep putting yourself out there and in time new people will come into your life.

Reach out when you need,

Jaz xx

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello eScootsy,

These forums are a really amazing place to be, please look around and join in any conversation that you feel you’ll like to contribute to…or just pop in and say hello, we have a wonderful cafe…titled “BB Cafe”, you will be sure to meet some of the community members in there…it’s a friendly place, with virtual food and drinks (non-alcohol) which is all about light conversation only…nothing heavy..I hope to see you in there when you feel up to it..

I have 3 dogs, that live with me..or it could be the other way round I think😁…they keep me busy and are my life….My life is pretty boring compared to most people…I stay at home mostly,  except when I’m volunteering my 3 days a week…anxiety is no fun…

Its good to hear back from you, I really do hope that other members will pop in to chat to you…

Kind thoughts

Grandy..

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi eScootsy,

Welcome to the forum.

I do understand you and I think many of us have similar challenge. We work full-time and get tired after work, we don't have many social connections and it becomes even more challenging due to the pandemic.

I think having walks in the parks or cycling in the trails around is a good idea. You also mentioned that you like to read. I'd encourage you to explore events and activities organised by your local library, you may find something interesting for you.

Mark

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello eScootsy, sometimes at this time of the year our friends may be away on holidays or just want to chill out at home by themselves and try to regain some energy after such a hectic year, but it is disappointing when we want to contact one of our friends and don't hear back from them, wondering whether or not we have done someting to them that may have upset the relationship, but not taking into account they themselves may be suffering from something they don't want to divulge to anyone.

The people you work with, ask them if they like the movies you want to watch and if so, then perhaps you could suggest watching another one together.

Geoff.

Life Member.

eScootsy
Community Member

Thanks for your kind reply Jaz, appreciate that you read the post. Hope to make new connections next year, even casual friendships.

eScootsy
Community Member

Thanks Mark, there's nothing like getting outside and going around on a long trip.

Unfortunately at the moment the library doesn't have anything I can attend - they tend to do things during weekdays when I'm working. I have the unfortunate problem where I also don't enjoy board games lol, so that eliminates a heap of meetups. I happened to see that Brisbane Social on Reddit has a Discord that is very active, maybe I can attend an event with them.

eScootsy
Community Member

Thanks Geoff. I know my friends are going through a lot. I really dislike the whole "how are you going" and not sticking around for the answer. That isn't a conversation.

I've been at my current workplace for almost 2 years now, my team doesn't enjoy the same movies I do. I'm in a childcare centre and I watch horror movies (LOL).