FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Joined Beyondblue

Max_just_Max
Community Member

Hi all,

Ive just now joined beyondblue as I’ve had and still going through an intense emotional time.

5 months ago I found out my wife had been cheating while I worked away, I confronted her on the phone, as she was away at the time, and she basically blamed me for not emotionally supporting her. The lengths and lies she went to to disguise the continuous affair has me baffled. New neighbours thought I worked for a certain company as a vehicle was in our drive quite frequently.

I was angry, confused, resentful for most of this time, she calls it revenge.

She claimed she broke it off 3 times, but each time it continued, then saying ”you know what’s going on”

she has since called separation of our 9 year marriage, claims the affair has nothing to do with me, although we live under the same roof when I’m home.

Still I am blamed for everything

Is this normal behaviour when a spouse has been caught out?

1 Reply 1

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Max, to find out that your spouse is having an affair or cheating on you, the same thing, is devastating, the trust has gone and they don't give a damn about what they are doing.

The marriage vows mean nothing, 'in better or worse, in sickness and health' and to blame you is a way of her taking false control over a situation and pushing her into a new relationship.

Whether you had to work away was agreed on and a joint decision, but the lies she has told you and possibly other people are her downfall.

When someone has been caught out they are going to blame you, irrespective of whether or not it is your fault, just to satisfy their guilt.

I could suggest relationship counselling, however, emotional support has to go both ways, if it only goes one way then you can never do enough to please them.

I can't tell you what to do, but if she has broken this affair on and off several times before, then you have to decide whether you can trust her, but can I suggest you talk with your doctor, and would very much like to hear back from you.

Take care.

Geoff.