FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Doing it tough

KitesR
Community Member

Hi All,

I have just signed up and this is my first post.

To be honest my main reason to sign up was to give I guess for lack of a better term, an uptick to so many posts that I have read on the forum. So many amazing people on here, like they have peered into my windows and know me. Makes me feel less alone.

This is the beginning of my journey, I have finally come to terms that i do struggle with anxiety and depression which is strange because I have always tried to be a provider and protector for my wife and family, a fortress if you will with no fear I thought but, I do now acknowledge that I cant run and hide from the things that have formed me any longer.

Long story short, I know I have so much to be grateful for, an amazing wife,I don't know where she gets the strength, and in material things, they however don't make me loathe myself any less and it makes me wonder why somebody like my amazing wife would bother with me.

Many thanks.

5 Replies 5

Isabella_
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Kites Rise,
A very warm welcome to the forums 🙂 It makes me very happy to hear when people on here have come to the point in their lives where they recognise that they don't need to run and hide, and they don't have to push their own wellbeing aside to be a great provider for their loved ones. Your mental and physical health is so important, no one should be expected or put the expectation on themselves to ignore their feelings or "get on with it".

I think a lot of the time people think a good carer is someone who sacrifices absolutely everything, including their mental health, in order to be a rock for everyone. I think a good carer is someone who knows how to balance taking care of themselves while taking care of others, and if anything it allows you to do a much better job at it.

Good on you for beginning your journey and taking the time to share with us, I'm looking forward to seeing you around here 🙂

Wishing you the best, take care.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi KitesR,

Wellcome to our forums!

Thank you I’m so glad you have found our forums helpful 😊 I’m glad to hear you feel less alone, you are never alone we are all here to help you in any way that we can…

Thats great that you have started your mental health journey…. Well done……. I too have been on a mental health journey…….. I suffered with severe anxiety OCD……. I have now recovered from this condition thanks to the help of health professionals….. The best thing I ever did was seek help for what I was experiencing……. Yes it put me on a mental health journey that took a lot of perseverance but it’s one thing in my life now that I don’t regret having because it has taught me so much…….. i use the skills I was taught in many aspects of my life now……… “ we grow through what we go through “……….. I decided to stop running from my anxiety and turn around and face it head on….I believe I came out the other side of the tunnel so I could help other people who are going through mental health…….

I understand you have been the rock for your family but sometimes anxiety and depression seem to come into our life’s due to no fault of our own……. You can learn to manage what you are experiencing…….with help from health professionals…

Your amazing wife loves you……. and I’m sure she would like to see you well……

My first point of call was my gp we did a mental health together this then enabled me to see a clinical psychologist……I was also put on a antidepressant to help me to manage my anxiety…… I think it would really help you if you could make an appointment with your gp ………. It will be your first step towards recovery…….

here to chat to you 😊

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Kites,

First of all - welcome! I am glad you have found the forums to be a comfortable and supportive place!

As Petal said, seeking help may seem daunting but it can seriously get you on the path to feeling better. I would consider it - I've done it myself and I am so glad I did. I have learnt to manage my anxiety so well that it no longer really impacts me. It all started from seeing my GP and talking to a psychologist. You can do it too.

I hope to see you around,

Jaz.

mocha delight
Community Member
Hi kitesr just wanted to welcome you to the forums and if you ever need to chat I’m here for you ok.

TwoHeads
Community Member
hello mate. you're not alone. our stories sound similar in some ways. have so much i should be thankful for but feel pretty crap a good lot of the time. welcome to the forum. i just joined too.