FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Countryhousebound

CountryHousebond
Community Member
Not sure about this but I need to try find help I can't seem to get our of this depressed mood I'm in I've been like this for months the only thing that seems to help is drugs or alcohol
3 Replies 3

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi CountryHousebond,

I am sorry you are feeling this way. A great place to start would be contacting your doctor and getting a mental health care plan, which will include a referral to a psychologist.

If you are unable to do that, there are many other services you can contact in the meantime -such as Lifeline 13 11 14, or Beyond Blues helpline.

I am here to tell you that you are not alone and that there are many options. It does get better.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi CountryHousebond,

Wellcome to our forums.

Sorry you are feeling this way…and for so long.

I highly recommend you make an appointment with your gp you can discuss how you have been feeling.. You could also do a mental health plan together..

here to chat

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello CountryHousebond, welcome to the site and can I join Jazz and Petal in offering our support.

We are really sorry you are suffering from depression, as you've mentioned, and there never seems to be any relief so there is a temptation for people to try different drugs and/or alcohol to numb these feelings, the trouble is the next morning it's back to square one, the depression still dominates and certainly takes control, especially when you are intoxicated, you feel worse.

I've used alcohol as a coping mechanism but it only led to more problems within my marriage, but I thought it would only help me, I was wrong, but it's not easy to realise this, it's the same as lighting up another smoke, non of these addictions can possibly remove nor control any type of depression it's way too strong.

So there are 2 problems here finally realising that help is needed for our depression as well as stopping these addictions so where do you start to begin with, and people differ from what is said.

Some people need help to stop their addiction first, then they are able to understand their depression better and are able to discuss the situation better with a counsellor, rather than trying to discuss the problem when affected by an addiction and may not remember what had been discussed the previous session.

This is something you need to decide on if the counsellor will allow you into a session while affected.

There is much more to say and really hope you can get back to us.

Geoff.