FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Brain zaps aren't always from withdrawal.

63off
Community Member

Hi, I'm new and have joined because I need help with brain zaps. I am on medication daily and I not withdrawing from them. I have been getting them on and off for about 8 or 9 months and I really can't see a pattern to them.

2 nights ago while out for an evening walk, every time I turned my head I got multiple brain zaps, which went right through my body all the way to my hands and feet. I also have tinnitus and this was also off the chart, with each zap being accompanied by a louder buzz. I have had a migraine ever since and this is not the 1st time it has happened like this.

Given that I haven't changed my medication, and every google search centers around SSRI withdrawal Iam really struggling for a proper answer. Is this just something that isn't well understood?

Any suggestions will be very appreciated.

7 Replies 7

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

I hope you find a reply from a member that has some knowledge of this condition. However, it is unlikely as I hvent heard of it in the many years I've been here.

Keep researching on the www. We here are those that have mental illness issues but we are not professional medical persons. Good luck.

TonyWK

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi 63off,

Wellcome to our forums!

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

Please make an appointment with your gp and discuss what you are experiencing.

DebF
Community Member

Hi, i know what you are going through. I also get brain zaps.
If you haven’t changed med dose what you are experiencing is called tolerance withdrawal. When i went to see doctor about it the only thing he offered was to increase my dose which i refused. I have since started a very slow taper off my meds. Taking a good high quality Omega 3 has helps me a lot. Hope this helps 😊

63off
Community Member
Thank you so much DebF. I'll give the omega 3 a try.

Dory-justkeepswimming
Community Member
Hi 63off, I completely understand what you are going through. It has taken me years to find out what this symptom was even called as it is so hard to explain. I also have tinnitus and when I have the brain zaps there is a loud whooshing sound that goes with the zapping feeling. The only reason I found this is because I am currently weaning off a medication and the brain zaps have been out of control for the past few days. Prior to this they would come and go randomly and I was unable to find any rhyme or rhythm to them as they are so inconsistent. In my research I have found that not only weaning off the medication but taking some medications can cause the brain zaps, there are also other medications that can cause them I am currently also weaning off steroid for IBD and these can contribute to the zaps. You can also get the brain zaps from stress and anxiety. So as you can see there isn’t just one reason for them. Definitely check in with your dr and see if changing any of your meds will help and also make sure you are treating anxiety/stress in your life. Brain zaps are definitely not a fun symptom to have, I am relieved that I have finally found an explanation because at times I wondered if I was going crazy and imagining it. So having the answer has help me enormously. I hope you are able to find some relief and I am hoping that the change to my meds gives me some relief also. If you want to chat more or even just vent your frustration I am happy to listen. Take care

Deb63
Community Member

Hi 63off

I have had a similar experience with brain zaps and tinnitus.  Coincidentally I went to an audiologist when I got a pension card to get free hearing aids, unaware that there is a belief that this is an excellent way to help our condition.

My symptoms have improved out of sight since I have been wearing hearing aids daily.

According to the audiologist my brain was stressed because it was missing things and feeling strained.

I don't know if your symptoms are caused by the same thing but I hope you find something to help.  It can be very debilitating.

Deb63

indigo22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi 63off,

Thank you for this post as I thought it was only me who got these 😲. I have tinnitus on one side and when I turn my head to that side, I also get brain zaps. They are not as powerful as yours seem to be but the only meds I am on are antidepressants so it can only be those for me. As another post suggested, for you it could be a combination of meds that are causing you more issues with them. I do notice them more if I am tired or feeling a bit stressed so that may be adding to it.

Please let us know what you discover.

indigo22