FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety about moving out of my parents house after a long injury

Tryingtoworkmyselfout
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I've never written in a forum before and I feel a bit anxious doing it but here goes.

I've become very isolated over the past 2.5 years after getting an injury that required surgery (major on my neck) which then developed into chronic pain, taking lots of medications, then eventually, depression and anxiety from the constant on going pain.

I have become quite dependant on my parents over this time as I have gone through a lot of stress with the insurer (was a work injury) and even though I know moving out is desperately what I need to start regaining my independence (I just turned 40)! I've been having panic attacks about it!

I just wondered if anyone else has been in a similar situation where they had to move back home with their parents after living and working independently for many years and bc of their physical or emotional injuries (or both) became dependant on their parents and then found it really difficult to leave?

I've just bit the bullet and paid a bond for a lovely flat which is close by to my parents which should be affordable when centrelink finally comes through. I have a little bit of savings to help me before that kicks in. It's a financial risk, but the risk of staying home seems worse as I can't move on with my life and get better. Would love any support or shared experiences. E xx

1 Reply 1

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello E, and a warm welcome to the forums.

I'm really sorry for the injury you have sustained and when you move back home it's totally different than living by yourself, your meals are cooked, washing down and support at the times you need it, however, it may restrict your movements but wish you well being on your own.

After hip replacements (x3) I had my sons alternate living with me but there comes a time when you want your independence back but with support in the background.

You maybe entitled to rent assistance and curious as to what stage your claim is and any medical support you have.

Best wishes.

Geoff.