FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Withdrawal symptoms

JEF15
Community Member

Hello

I am currently weaning off my medication. I have been on the same med for nearly 15 years and doing a slow tapering.

I have been experiencing a number of symptoms and not really feeling like my normal self and just wanted to see what others experienced during this process.

Thanks

14 Replies 14

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear JEF15,

Weaning of meditation is different for everyone...

I think that talking to your GP about the symptoms you are experiencing would be the best way to find out if things are going ahead okay with you weaning off your medication....

I warned off some of my medication under the supervision of my GP....

Are you weaning off yourself....without professional guidance...if so...I would like to gently suggest that you reach out to your GP.....he/she would know the common and uncommon side effects of weaning off....

My kindest thoughts with my care DearJEF15.

Grandy...

JEF15
Community Member

Thanks for the reply

Yes I am doing under GP supervision. I guess there are just the 'common' side effects we all get told and read about, but then there are ones we aren't told about but commonly occur

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey JEF15,

I came off antidepressants a few years ago and I think I felt a bit up and down at times, but it was mostly okay for me. I think it's normal to not feel like yourself, and that can take a while. What kind of symptoms are you feeling, and have you had a chance to speak to your GP about them?

James

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello JEF, if I can take you back 15 years when you first started taking this medicine, then it wouldn't have been easy trying to adjust to doing this, until your body accepted it, now coming off them applies the same, your body is clearing out the medication and your system again has to adjust.

It's not like taking a panadol for a headache, and although this takes away the pain, you can then naturally get on with life, but medication you've been on for 15 years is like someone who drinks too much, as their body overcomes the headache and the drying out, is like you stopping this medication, it takes a little while for it to get out of your system.

I agree consult with your doctor.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

JEF15
Community Member

Thanks for the reply

Ive been having a lot more headaches than usual. Im not one to get headaches but Im having them daily. Tension headaches Id describe them as. Light headed which I was expecting. Some odd timed mood swings and a feeling of being a bit heavy in the chest. I havent yet had a chance to check in with my GP, which maybe I should this week 🙂

JEF15
Community Member

Thank you for your reply

Yes I agree, 15 years is a long time, and its been my body normal. So I guess it's only right to assume it will take a while for it to get used to the new normal. I just thought the tapering has been going so well and then BAM I feel like all the withdrawal symptoms have hit at once!

I will try and get to my GP this week to make sure im on the right track

Thanks

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey JEF15,

Just checking in and wanted to see how you are doing. Did you manage to get on to the GP last week?

James

JEF15
Community Member

Hello

thanks for checking in, sorry I didn’t get back to you earlier

I get have a chat with the Gp, and everything I mentioned seemed very normal for withdrawing

I’m still slowly weaning, down to a very small amount now, every second day. I can definitely feel some anxieties coming on but I know that’s expected, so just pushing through

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello JEF, it might be good for you to stop this medication but if anxiety is or has developed then can you talk to a psych about these and any trigger points that could bring them on.

Although I'm not a doctor, I wonder whether now is the right time to stop your medication if anxiety is coming back or whether it needs to be reviewed.

Geoff.