FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What other help is out there for depression?

Bec05
Community Member
I've struggled with depression & PTSD for 8 years. I've seen several psychologists, psychiatrists and been in hospital twice. A new medication or conseller seems to help for a couple of months then i just seem to go back to the start again and feeling suicidal and not enjoying anything. I was recently told by a psychiatrist that conselling and medication don't work for me. I want to know what other help is there? What have others tried?
3 Replies 3

DebA
Community Member

I really don't know I'm sorry.  I'm sure you've tried everything...diet, exercise, alternative therapies, medication, retreats and therapy.

Personally I have found that, as a long term sufferer, my condition has changed as I have.  Therefore the treatment has needed to change also.  Finding the therapist which suits you is difficult and they may only suit you for a period of time before you can't learn anything new from them.

I am not a touchy feely type of person so when therapists ask me what my body feels like when I'm thinking something, it doesn't really resonate with me.  My current therapist seems to know that and so she is explaining things in a more technical way and I keep having 'ahhh' moments as it seems to make more sense to me.

I wish I had the answer for you.

x

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Bec, how indiscreet can a psychiatrist be, to have the audacity to tell you this, well I would be horrified if someone told me this, and I certainly would pay him/her for their useless time trying to help me and presumably anyone else.

Sometimes counselling will work for a short period, only because it's telling this person the grief we have and how much we are suffering with depression, but then it seems to plateau out, so we go around in circles not achieving anything.

This is when the therapist has to use their knowledge to keep the appointments interesting, and by that I mean that they have to delve deeper into the communication, and the worst problem is, to' let go', and lose your attention, because once this happens we begrudge wanting to go back and see them again, because we know that nothing serious will happen and any advice they give us will in one ear and out the other.

I had been seeing my psychologist for over 20 years, because every time I saw her I didn't know what to expect, but unfortunately she has moved on.

I now see another psychologist but I am not happy with her, she always picks her face while I'm with her, and generally this means she is only half interested, and if you google 'is it time to change my psych.' or something like that, then this is a dead give away.

You have to have a 90 to100% repoire with your therapist, because if there isn't linkage between the both of you, then try someone else. It does drive us mad but in the end worth it. L Geoff.x

The_Great_Path
Community Member

Hi Bec Naw Just caught a breeze, hugged it and is on the to you darling. Naw I wish I knew more about your story, the trauma you have experienced, where you are heathwise physically. Is a most difficult question to answer indeed but what I have found in the past is 'setting a get set go mark', a DATE on the calender to move towards with preparation and plans for the DAYS THAT COME AFTER. I know for myself, depression or anxiety never seemed to have an expiry date............ until I set one for myself .............. but I had to plan to give up things.............. I had to plan to begin doing ONE thing at least that I have always put behind me like writing, sketching, making jewellery. Things that really made me happy. 

Another thing that might help is doing things for other people. Here's something you can try if you have a computor or a word processor........... and 'write the post beautiful loving and encouraging quote of phrase on a piece of paper with a beautiful picture accompanying it and put them in letterboxes in your area. because coming away from those neighbour hoods will give you a GREAT SENSE OF Self worth. It will change you whole perception of how valuable you can be in the lives of others. Just think if one of those messages reached someone feeling like you do today and YOU MADE THEIR DAY. You'll never know, perhaps you will one day, but you will know yourself............... how beautiful your heart can be. 

I am so sorry if this doesn't help but ................. I'm think of you. Best of luck darling.