FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Question - Why did psychiatrist take photo of prescription?

TheBigBlue
Community Member

I saw my psychiatrist yesterday.

He increased my dose for one of my medications & wrote a new prescription. Then he took a photo of the prescription on his mobile before passing it to me.

Naturally my anxiety prevented me from asking, so does anyone here know why he would do that?
I’m guessing so there is some sort of record, but it kind of makes me feel like I’m not trusted........

Any one else had this happen or know the reason behind it????

8 Replies 8

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello TheBigBlue,

I haven’t had that done to me before...I am wondering if his computer was down and he took a photo of the prescription on his phone to enter into the computer later on...

Is this the first time he has done this...

Kind thoughts,

Grandy....

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

My psychiatrist keeps a records of when giving me scripts.... perhaps their way of "recording" it? Perhaps to work out when the script might expire?

I am not aware of what any rules might be. You could always ask them?

Outside observing
Community Member
I think it was probably record keeping.

I expect so. I've noticed that GP tend to type everything up n teh computer during the consultation, and use the computer for scripts. My psychiatrist seems to be living in another century where he hand writes notes and scripts. I think he then enters some of it into the computer afterwards or gets the receptionist to do it.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion
I think it depends on the setup of the space and the time used. A consult with a GP is generally short and own (?) office whereas with psychologist is much longer timewise and seating more comfortable similar to a living space so to have a laptop in the way would be confusing.

My psychologist used to use pen and paper. More recently has been using a tablet to record notes.

My psychiatrist on the other hand uses an electronic writing device and a PC and uses each device as appropriate.

There can also be a preference for old technology vs new.

In their position I would probably use an electronic writing device as I am a one finger typist on a phone and paper grows.

Aunt Jobiska
Community Member

Hi - my psychiatrist is old school and photocopies the script before giving it to me... Always has, I think it's just an easy way of keeping track of prescriptions that have been written. I know it's uncomfortable not feeling trusted as a patient but I'm fairly confident it has absolutely nothing to do with you - I have a fantastic relationship with my psych and know he trusts me, it's just a good routine practice to help him keep track of what he writes, and covers him should anything to wrong - then he's got a record.

Where I'd have a possible problem though is the photo on the phone - I would definitely pipe up and ask whether the College (of psychiatrists) had endorsed keeping photographs of patient's records on phones, and would want a very clear answer to that. I wouldn't want a photo of my record on a phone, I'd tell the psychiatrist very nicely that I'm uncomfortable about security, is that his personal phone? (Then absolutely no way do I want my record on his personal phone) or is it a work phone? Still uncomfortable.

But keeping a record of the script? Good practice.

hi Aunt Jobiska and welcome to this thread.

Definitely worth a chat if you have concerns in this area. Everything you need is on a phone. My psychiatrist just knows when they last gave me a script and the amount and repeats etc. No photo needed at all. I am just thinking out loud, but with the photo, they might then send from the phone to their work account for filing purposes and then deleting from their camera. The other thing would be ... if they are doing this to you then probably also for other clients as well? If so, that could be a lot of photos on a phone! Which to my small mind is a lot of wasted space. That is, rather than having photos of family and other things.

Hello Aunt Jobiska, I'm not sure I'd be too happy if a psych took a photo of a script just given to me, it should already be on file on the computer and if you have accepted using the 'Health Record' where all your medical history, medication etc is kept, just in case you need to visit another doctor or go to the hospital, that's something I have not allowed.

Taking a photo could be used by another person if their phone is lost or even left lying around where other people could have unauthorised access, if my doctor had to do this, I wouldn't be too happy.

Everything is already under your file on the computer and this doesn't need to be done.

Best wishes.

Geoff.