FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Is ECT good?

AshnPolly
Community Member
Hi, my psych wants me to start ECT in a couple of weeks... Combined with new medications she is positive it will be a good thing but I'm quite scared. Is ECT ok? Is it an ok treatment?
12 Replies 12

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi AshnPolly, welcome and great to see you've had some responses. We had a few threads on ECT a few months back that you might like to read through as well to get some insights:

ECT treatment

Current ECT treatment

I know this post was a long time ago but I'm being admitted on Monday for ECT & I am so scared I will lose my memory,

could u pls tell me if it worked for u?

thank u

Fiasco
Community Member

Like all treatments, I think success varies. It will be worth a try, if your psychiatrist recommends it and you agree. If it's possible that this may be the answer, then you may think it's worth it.

For me personally, it was not helpful. I had 10 sessions from April to June last year. It didn't help me. But I was willing to try. I have severe issues with my memory (even long term). Every time I woke up from ECT I had a terrible headache for the rest of the day and usually slept. I would sometimes wake up and not even know who I was. That was scary. But even with all this, if there was a small chance I could enjoy my life and beat this, then I would even try again.

You need to think about your own situation. I've heard many success stories about ECT, and I am probably in the minority of people that it didn't work for.