FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Husband refusing antidepressants as the last time they caused sexual dysfunction

Socks77
Community Member
My husband believes the antidepressants he had 15 years ago caused erectile dysfunction and immature ejaculation (a permanent change).
Now he is refusing to take his medication this time around.
I was looking up that there are non SsRI antidepressants that may not have these side effects but I can’t find what ones are available in Australia that I could say might be another option for him to get him back to the doctor for new advice and script.
Does anyone know what Non-SSRI meds are available? And did anyone else’s husband have any sexual dysfunction with them?
3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Hi Socks77,

Thanks for sharing this with us. We know it's not always easy. The forums are a safe and non-judgmental place where users give and recieve support based on their own experiences with mental health. We're here to provide as much support, advice and conversation as you need but want to make clear our community rules don't allow

* reference to specific prescription medication names and/or dosages 

While our community may be able to provide general advice about their experiences with certain classes of anti-depressant medication -- like SSRIs, SNRIs or tricyclics -- they can't be any more specific than that. If you are after specifics  then please discuss this with your prescribing health professional.

DrRotten
Community Member

Hi Socks77,

I believe the side-effect you refer to is reasonably common. That's a bummer on the one hand, but on the other, you can have confidence - as Sophie_M says - to raise the issue with the treating doctor. You can be sure this won't be the first time they've heard it, and they will have literature and resources on the matter.

Unfortunately, it may be a matter of experimenting with different medications under the guidance of your doctor.

DavidW
Community Member

Hi, Socks77! My husband had the same issue. It's a common side effect because our psyche is also part of our body