FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hospital turned my husband away

Frustrated mumma
Community Member
My husband tried to hurt himself today. First time ever this has happened. Mental ward had no beds. We stayed in emergency for 4 hours before the psychologist told him to go home, relax and have an early night. My husband told him he was not feeling right in the head and he was scared but we couldn't get help. So now im up making sure my husband wont harm himself by watching him sleep for my own peace of mind. Mental health system saving lives again 😐 not really sure what to do now. He has a psychiatrist app tomorrow afternoon at the clinic
7 Replies 7

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi FM welcome

You are in a difficult situation and I sympathise with you.

The mental health system will likely always be inadequate.

Having said that you need to accept that if there is no bed, there is no bed! Staff in the medical professions try hard but with little money they cant do much.

Medical staff also know that after 4 hours in emergency your husband likely has calmed down and is relatively safe to return home.

Thats all I can comment on. I hope he can come to this forum to speak to us and read about some ideas to prevent acrepeat of this event.

Tony WK

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Frustrated mumma,

Welcome to the forums.

I'm so sorry that you experienced this, and even though it might not mean much I feel the frustration too. Australia's mental health system has a long way to go. I completely agree with Tony/whiteknight in why they sent him home. Unfortunately with emergency departments people are very easily dismissed even though they can have suicidal thoughts or intentions.

I really hope that the psychiatrist was helpful and I'm glad that you have someone else on your team now.

Frustrated mumma
Community Member
Oh thanks so much guys. I know its not the mental health teams fault i understand we have such a bad lack of funding i wish i could do more to even help that situation out. I spent most of the night on the lounge to prevent my husband doing anything and our children waking up to a disaster. Psychiatrist app went well. Well i thought so hubby well im not sure. He has bo motivation to do anything these days so i hope he took some in. Thank you again for your words i guess i was scared and frustrated and didnt know what else to do

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello Frustrated mumma, I'm so sorry for the two of you being in this situation, because how can you explain to someone how deeply scared you are, when they don't know anything about you.
It's such a frightening time, especially for you having to watch your husband and making sure he is kept safe, that's lovely, but you also can't forget about your own health, as this will be taking a great deal out of you from feeling well, so please try and remember that it would be good for you to see your doctor, and when this happens then have someone else look after your husband, if that's possible.
This will be very exhausting for you, and please I'm taking away the concern we have for your husband. Geoff.

Thank you Geoff

I am mentally exhausted. He won't even try. Hes always been someone to just be like well this is what life has handed me so whatever. Now he won't do anything. Its like he waits for someone to make it better for him. Im at such a loss. Im trying to get him to try atleast for the kids. They are already tip toeing around their dad and school life is getting effected. I had to push back my assignments for uni because its the last thing i want to do is do a paper. This is so hard

Hi mumma

So, have you visited your doctor?

As far as you and your husband visiting his psych, those visits wont necessarily produce motivation and confidence. That comes from within your husband. Gentle persuasion is preferable from you.

But as Geoff suggested. A GP visit for yourself is a good idea.

Tony WK

Hi Frustrated mumma,

Thanks for your post and I'm glad that you're still keeping in touch with us and updating us.

It sounds like it's been very frustrating and exhausting and I'm sorry that you have to go through this. I'm wondering if you want to share with us what the appointment was psychiatrist was like? What did he/she say and why did he not find it helpful?

I agree that sadly the motivation and confidence comes from him, but it might help to see what he needs to be able to move forward. Maybe that's reflecting back on how he used to feel, or maybe that's trying to imagine a different and better future.