FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

ECT

Raining
Community Member
Has anyone had experience with ECT treatment? If so, did it help?
9 Replies 9

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello Raining, welcome to the forum and I was so close to having ECT at a hospital but decided not to do it.

There are people who have had it done and it has been discussed so just wait until they hop up. Geoff.

demonblaster
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I haven' t Raining but use to nurse (EN) & remember them saying it did help

Stormgrl101
Community Member
Hello yes I recently had ECT treatment-10 sessions. I started while I was an inpatient and then after few sessions I became an outpatient. The best way for me to describe the effects from it would be.. it felt like someone had flicked a switch on in my mind. It has given me more confidence then I have had in years and it is a bit easier to focus and work on my recovery. I have had no major memory problems and after each session I recovered fairly quickly. So yes- it has helped with my major depression. I still have other MH issues to deal with but I am glad that I had ECT.

Raining
Community Member
Thanks Geoff 🙂

Thanks 🙂

Thank you 🙂

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Raining, perhaps if I can say that it could no different than someone taking an antidepressant, it works for someone but doesn't for someone else, and for those that have success stories that's great, but I'm sure there are people where it hasn't helped, and I'm only saying this as someone who has tried multiple AD's which haven't worked but have done so for many others. Geoff.

Raining
Community Member
Thanks Geoff. I have heard that before. My partner is on high doses of antidepressants and has been for a long time. He still feels awful on most days and I feel desperate for him. I am researching alternatives.

Hi Raining, we have a number of existing threads on ECT where members discuss their experiences.  Please check out the threads below - to avoid duplication, we are going to close this thread.

ECT treatment

Tired of being depressed now - looking at ECT?

ECT - my experience

My wife has just had ECT - what is the recovery time?