FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depression support groups

Le_Chat_Noir
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.  

I was just wondering, does anyone know of any depression support groups in the Melbourne area?  There seem to be plenty of online forums and one-on-one therapists, but no support groups, which surprises me.  I figure that depression is an isolating experience and it would be helpful to share the experience in a supportive group environment where you interact with people on a more personable level.  

Thanks!!

3 Replies 3

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Pauline, welcome to the forums.

Your Medicare Local is a great place to start as they will be able to advise you of the services available in your local area. Use the map on the right-hand side of the page at www.medicarelocals.gov.au to find your local branch.

The beyondblue Support Service also have access to a directory of services across Australia so may be able to assist you to find out what else is available near you. You can contact them on 1300 22 46 36 or via email from this page.

Hi Pauline,

I have been attending Group Meetings with the Grow Organisation. I have found this very very helpful in sharing and understanding with others going through similar circumstances, and has much documentation and programs to use and go through. Its hard to explain how it all works but I am happy to answer any questions if you would like to know more.

I am in South Australia but Grow is australia wide and the contact details for melbourne sessions is as follows:

http://www.grow.net.au/index.php/grow-in-your-state/grow-vic

Joining the group and attending and participating has really really helped over the last few months, and I have noticed an improvement on my mental wellbeing and confidence in myself. I would highly recommend over individual or phone support etc.

Thanks

SB

Thanks SB, I really appreciate that tip.  Will check it out!