FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Current ECT treatment

Dot58
Community Member

Hi, I have just started ECT treatment. I had my third one yesterday. No memory loss so far, no improvement yet either.

I was diagnosed with major depression in 1989 and saw a psychologist for quite some time before being put on anti depressants. I have been medicated ever since with varying results. I did ask about ECT years ago but was told that it was a last resort. 

A few months ago, I ask my GP about ECT again, he referred me to a different psychiatrist. After talking about all the anti depressants I have tried, he agreed that I should try ECT. As I am doing it voluntarily , I can stop any time I like. 

I am seeing the psychiatrist today to talk about what has happened so far. 

7 Replies 7

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Dot58!

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing your story about undertaking ECT treatment.  I have been following the other threads on this forum that discuss ECT (have you seen them yet?). I have not (yet) taken this step - it seems a little daunting. 

I would be interested in understanding whether you made this decision because you felt your depression was getting worse, or whether it was because there was no improvement with meds?  Only answer if you are comfortable doing so. 

How did you go with the follow-up psychiatrist visit?

All the best

K

Dot58
Community Member

Hi K,

I have been on 15 different anti depressants, some worked for years , a few caused side effects that I couldn't tolerate. The last one, I was on for about 3 years but I have felt worse lately. My daughter works as a registered nurse in theatre and has seen many patients undergo ECT treatment. I also researched it on the net and then spoke to my GP . He has known me for many years and referred me to a psychiatrist, who after a long assessment agreed that I might benefit from it.

The psychiatrist yesterday wanted to know, if I felt any different, which so far I don't , he also asked about any side effects. I will see him again after a further 3 treatments.

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Dot58!

Thank you for your reply, its always good to hear back from a poster.

You certainly have given the ADs your best shot, so not surprising that you are now willing to give something else a try.  From what I understand ECT involves a number of successive treatments before there is a sign of any change - not sure if that is in fact the case.

Please keep posting on your progress and any other associated issues.  But in the meantime, I hope your next session goes well.

Take care

K

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Dot58, hope your treatment is going ok for you.

We have another thread here on ECT if you'd like to read about how some other members have found it:

ECT treatment

Shaz1
Community Member

This is my first post, so hi!

Ive been having ECT treatments ovet the past year, more than 30. It sounds as though you have been doing lots of research on the treatment. 

I was forced to have treatments and my memory is terrible!!! I've forgotten my bank PIN number, my nephews name. And also long term memory things like what I did at Christmas, etc. 

i wish you luck. 

Sar76
Community Member

Hi Dot58

I was wondering how the ECT went for you? 

Do you feel better? And was it a good choice for you?

I too have been on numerous meds and between symtoms worsening and side effects I can understand why you would have decided on ECT. 

If you feel comfortable sharing I would love to hear more about your experiences and if youve made progress.

Best wishes

cat_lady884
Community Member

Hi Dot58, I found your story very interesting & I can really relate. After trying medication & still having extreme depressive episodes I decided to try ECT treatment. It has been a very successful treatment & along with medication has helped me to stay well.

I was reluctant to try ECT at first but it was the best decision I made for myself. The only side effect experienced was being very teary- no memory loss over the years of treatment. 

I hope that your treatment continues to help you in getting well 🙂 good luck!