FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

ADHD costs

Lui
Community Member

I've discovered it's ADHD that has caused my anxiety/depression for my 58 years of life!

But the costs are killing me!

The psychiatrist wants me to get a second opinion, and then back to him again. It's so expensive. i have been able to work for more than 30 years due to this, how are we supposed to afford it? Is there anywhere, any way we can get some back? Medicare only covers a small part of it

12 Replies 12

LiliLemon
Community Member

Hi Lui,

I am going through the same thing at the moment..trying to find a way to afford an assessment.  I am currently on the Disability Support Pension for a PTSD diagnosis after being a victim of crime.  That's an entirely separate issue.  However, it obviously makes it impossible for me to afford the $1500 required from ADHD Assessment clinics in NSW.  I have known for a long time that I need to be assessed, but have muddled my way through life in spite of it.  Only now, I am back at university attempting to complete Postgrad studies and my symptoms feel rampant now that I am required to apply myself in the academic environment.  How on Earth our health system thinks it's ok for Adult ADHD Assessment to be inaccessible is beyond me.  Obviously only people who have money deserve assistance and treatment.  It's so wrong.  I can't believe you managed to pay for the assessment once and they have the gall to ask for you to pay it again.  Even if I could somehow manage to pay for it, there is no way I'd ever be able to do it twice.  This is criminal.

Beaser
Community Member

Im and my phycologists feels that ADHD could be my issue..   Ive said that i dont feel like ive lived a normal life and feel as though something has been missed. But now what i have to try and get into a psychiatrist and get diagnosis and treatments...   I  cant afford it money wise and cant get into see a psychiatrist easily.    I just dont now how to go about things.   

Beyond-Over-This
Community Member

Hi Lui

I'm having the same issue.   Diagnosed last year at 64yo....tried stimulant meds with disastrous effect.   Then I was told I should have been supervised regularly and had meds tweaked until they get them right.   Dr is trying to find an ADHD shrink who can do this but the thought of trying again at $350 per session or more is making me feel more stressed.  

I'm also now trying TMS for depression/anxiety caused by untreated ADHD issues.   I'm really starting to feel the drs don't really know what they're doing and I'm a guinea pig.   I'm going to push on to the Medicare limit but give up if I have no progress after TMS.   It's supposed to only have 50-60% success rate and you need 30-35 sessions.   It does give me some comfort that someone else is experiencing this very same issue.   I'm lucky I actually have money in the bank but there's a limit to how much of your savings you should use before financial difficulty causes more stress.  If I'd never had ADHD and depression anxiety issues I'd be a different person with a healthy bank account.   I don't know anyone who has spent as much time and money as I have trying to get well and then I've had ridicule from supposed friends about it so I'm chooing to write here instead where I may get some understanding and support.

Beyond Over This.