FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Where can we get help for our dad?

brookelouise
Community Member

Hello, I’m new to this but don’t know where else to access help. 

My dad is 60+ years old, and has lived his life with undiagnosed adhd and as a result, we (his family) believe he has developed quite severe depression. 

I am wondering if anyone knows of any supports available in South Australiathat could help? 
He is very resistant to anything involved with emotions, but we really want to get him help. 

1 Reply 1

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Brookelouise~

Welcome here to the Forum. I's a good move as you can get to see others who have had similar problems.

I"m afraid you and your family are in a difficult situation, one that happens a fair bit. It can be very upsetting as well as frustrating to see someone you love is in distress.

While it might be obvious to you something is wrong your dad may not beleive that or simply is unwilling to do anything about it.

As an adult it is of course his decision. I would think that to go to see his GP and set out how he has been feeling and what his life is like would be the best start. I guess it is a question of persuading him to go. Do you think htere is anyone in the family or someone he knows who can persuade him?

Sometimes pointing out your own unhappiness becuse he has not been himself might be enough. Many may do something for someone else where they might not do it for themselves. I do this myself and go to see my doctor to stop my wife having to worry, otherwise I'd just but up wiht or ignore whatever it is.

What do you think?

If you have not already been to this site ADHD information and resources for people of all ages may be found here:

https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/attention-deficit-disorder-add-or-adhd

Please let us know how you get on

Croix