FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Housebound elder Parent Depression

DuchessRavenwaves1
Community Member

Hello, my mother is on full-time oxygen and housebound. She's in her mid 70s.  Most of us found lockdown rather difficult. However for her it will not really conclude.  The downside of the pandemic is she's lost mobility because she was not exercising and is now housebound for what will be the remainder of her life. She is an intelligent woman and now very depressed. There's only so many puzzles and tapestries and television shows one can watch.  She has portable oxygen but it is so physically taxing for her to be out and about. Studies about depression in elderly housebound people are not giving me much around how to help her.  I'm lost and have not clue how to help and she is so sad. She has my father still but the reality of watching everyone live and do things that she can't participate in has her so down. Anyone in a similar position? Any ideas.. 

3 Replies 3

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey DuchessRavenwaves, welcome to the forums. 

I'm sorry for your mum's conditions worsening. 

There are services for older people remaining in their homes. Sorry I can't remember the name of it, but it's like NDIS but for older people. 

I suggest calling the BB Helpline to get some names and numbers to help your mum, dad and you. 
Of course your mum would have to be willing to receive this support too. 

In any case, it could be worth your while finding out what's available for her, to increase her quality of life. 

Sorry I can't be of more help. I didn't want your post to be left hanging out there with no replies. 

EM

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello DuchessRavenwaves, firstly I feel so sorry, not only for your mum, but for yourself and your father as my own restrictions apply now, although I don't need oxygen but other symptoms have developed and certainly appreciate this situation.

EM has given you a great suggestion by contacting NDIS, although her doctor may need to provide a referral, because this offers so much including bus trips, going out for lunch etc. and would be a perfect choose to enable her some freedom.

This service may also provide a home psychologist, that is something you can check on.

Geoff.

Life Member.

RRS678
Community Member

My mum is in a pretty similar situation and has been on oxygen for several years now. She is also blind and lives alone at home, and 90! She had a series of falls which took her to physio rehab classes and that, believe it or not, has had a huge positive effect. The exercise helped her with her oxygen management and all the pesky things that go with that, some social contact, and of course the effect on her mental health from exercise. Plus its a safe setting.

Is it possible to get some outside help from carers who can provide extra companionship, perhaps the council community services may have volunteers? New faces and different conversations, and just somebody who might bring some fresh ideas and give your dad a break.