FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

partner with bipolar

jordie33
Community Member
Hi all,

My partner has bipolar disorder we have been together for just over 2 years now and in recent times she has spoken about trading me in for a younger model ( in jest) but I often have feelings that she is doing stuff behind my back she has been medicated for bipolar but hasn't been on them for a little while.

I always ask if I'm doing enough to look after her both day today and also during the intimate times. 

If I'm having thoughts that maybe she is doing things behind my back how do I approach the subject with her.

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Jordie, welcome here. Sorry you havent had a response yet. I'll try to help.

I've been on medication for 12 years. My issues are bipolar 2, dysthymia, anxiety and depression. I'm 58yo.  I've tried to go off medication about 5 times. On each occasion I've realised AFTER my then partner realised, that I shouldnt have gone off them.

My wife now of 3 years also suffers from depression. When we got together we chatted and decided we will never go off our medication- it's a wise move. Bipolar and depression are life long and so is the need for medication.

This depends on how approachable your partner is.

In regards to possibly going behind your back. With trust issues if you cant sort it out then counselling is the way forward. Even issues like joking...if it is a joke then your partner should stipulate it- not leave you insecure about jests. Counselling cant sort those issues AND allows your partner to bring up things that you might not be aware of. It is a journey to clarification.

Good luck.