FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Tired of living

AcresOfSkin
Community Member

Hi, 

Im a 39 year old male, and I'm sick of living. I can't think of any time in my life that I've been happy and wonder if I can even feel things like that. It's like im either apathetic or depressed, no positivity. I've tried a few things, but I struggle to  see the value in continuing to struggle when there isn't really an outcome. 

I've just found a job after 6 months of being out of work after I had a breakdown and was unable to do my previous job (IT Industry). I'm really struggling with this new job too, and really don't know what to do if I can't get it working. It's hard to do anything or make a decision when I really don't care because I'd rather not be here at all. 

I' m not in immediate danger. 

Thanks for reading,

Steven

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hello AcresOfSkin
Thank you for your bravery and openness in sharing here. It sounds like you’re going through a really difficult time, and we can hear your situation is really having an impact on how you’re feeling day-to-day We’re reaching out to you privately to check you’re ok. In the meantime, we’d really encourage you to give our counsellors a call on the Beyond Blue Support Service. We are available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636, and the team are really good at talking people through moments like this and working out options for more support.  We hope that you find our forums to be a safe and supportive space to talk through your thoughts and feelings. Our community is here for you, and we’re sure they’ll spot your post soon enough and have some kind words and understanding for you. Kind regards, Sophie M  

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Steven

I feel for you so deeply, given how challenging life has been for your over time in a variety of ways. From my own experience, I'd have to say perhaps one of the greatest challenges in life would have to involve feelings. From questioning 'Why do I feel the way I do?' through to 'Why can't I feel?', feelings can tie into so much of life and how we experience it. 

I think one of the best definitions of emotion I've ever come across would have to be 'It is energy in motion (aka 'e-motion') that can be felt'. We can also feel a serious lack of energy in motion. Sometimes it can be a deeply depressing lack. Whether that energy is labelled a chemical energy (in the form of dopamine, serotonin, endorphins etc), or it's labelled as natural energy (joy, excitement, happiness etc), it's a fair question to ask 'Why can't I feel it?'. I've found there can be a variety of reasons for feeling a lack of certain energies in motion that are responsible for giving us a greater sense of connection to life. Just a handful of the many reasons

• Complete exhaustion. Can be impossible to feel through next to no energy
  • A lack of energy input
  • Being surrounded by people who aren't great at bringing out the best in us, facets of us that are going to lead us to some sense of stimulation or excitement
  • Vitamin or mineral deficiencies that can be seriously energy zapping and depressing
  • Beliefs and inner dialogue that can relate to low end emotions (aka 'a form of torture at times')
  • Certain conditions that can make it difficult to feel on a variety of levels (such as with some forms of ADHD or with being on the autism spectrum)
  • Serious sleep related issues that can interfere with energy restoration
  • A lack of self understanding, a lack of certain skills, a lack of certain practices etc when it comes to how we tick energetically

With the list seeming endless, I suppose we could say (when we're feeling what 'numb' feels like), 'I'm not broken, there's actually a really good reason for why I'm feeling myself and life the way I am. I just don't know what the reason is yet'. Occasionally I'll think 'I wish someone would show up at my front door and tell me 'This is the reason as to why you're feeling the way you are...'' and then I could say 'It all makes complete sense now'. Unfortunately, it can take so much investigation when no one's going to show up and give us the answers. I've found it pays to seriously wonder, for a sense of wonder feels so much better than a sense of hopelessness. Has anyone ever led you to wonder why you feel in the ways you do?