FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Struggling to understand.

shadow47
Community Member

I have only being seeing my psych for about 8 sessions.I end up in tears in most.She believes I’m suffering from trauma from my childhood.I do agree just struggle to accept it.

when I was a teenager I started sh

and I managed to stop.

since I’ve started seeing my psych I’ve started again. All the memories and pain is flooding back.I use my self harm to cope.

she said she found it strange that I was using painful self harm to deal with my emotional pain.

I told her it feels like a different pain kinda good.

im glad I managed to tell her but now she knows im also a little uncomfortable with her knowing.

1 Reply 1

Junior1962
Community Member

hi Shadow

I’m sorry that you feel a little uncomfortable with your psych. We use many different coping mechanisms to deal with emotional pain. Self harm is one of these. TBH I’m surprised your psych doesn’t understand that. 

What is important is the relationship you have with your psych. If you don’t feel comfortable, you are not going to be able to open up. Can you ask your psych why they think your self harming is strange? I say this because it’s an important part of who you are and you do need to feel comfortable talking about it.