FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Have to move out of home

Slippers
Community Member
Hi all. The situation i find myself in is most probably my own fault. My mother moved into a nursing home last November. I have lived in the family home all my life. I work fulltime getting a little over 3k a month, i am 49 years old. I found out tonight that I am going to have to move out because the family home will need to be sold to pay for Mum's stay in the nursing home. I have a little over 20k saved now, I was told that I could get up 30k as a gift once the house is sold.

I dont know what to do. My sister is going to send me contact for a mortgage broker but I am worried whether the mortgage broker would just laugh in my face becuase i am too old for a mortgage. I was told that I could borrow up to 285k, there isnt much around for that price. I am so stressed.

I considered suicide. I need help
14 Replies 14

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey Slippers

It sounds like moving in with your sister could be a good living situation for you and you could have a room of your own, but I understand you also are a bit worried about how it would be living with her. What are you worried will happen?

Wow good luck with your mortgage application! Hopefully it comes through, otherwise I'm sure you'll find some other solution.

James

Slippers
Community Member
Because my other two sisters hate the eldest one. For me to move in with my eldest sister would break the ties with the other two, And my eldest sister can be overbearing.

I dont know what I should do

Hi Slippers,

Ok, you know what’s best with your sister……. I understand you don’t want to be around negativity……… you can always choose how you respond to negativity….. it just takes practice..

Goodluck with the mortgage, that’s nice of your friends to offer to you to live with them 😊

Slippers
Community Member
Hi all, so I have been pre approved for my first ever mortgage and am seeing at least one maybe two places on the central coast on the weekend. At home here my sister from interstate is helping tidy up. Two of my sisters are joined at the hip, anything and everything I do wrong i get criticized for. I have been told that the family home is being painted and repaired before it goes on the market. My sister on the Central Coast said that she had to spend more money on the house before it can be put up for sale. It seems to me that are trying to blame this all on me, at the very least trying to be-little me. My sister is currently sitting in the lounge room eating dinner, I am in my bedroom packing up. I havent had dinner and I dont feel like having it now after the roast (not the meat kind) I had from my sister on the central coast earlier this evening

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Fantastic! Congratulations on the pre approval Slippers.

It sounds like you feel really victimised by your sisters right now. I'm really sad to hear you have to deal with this while trying to just figure out what to do next. Hopefully they lay off over the next while until you figure out where you'll be living.

James