FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Do you have a safety plan?

Sophie_M

Safety planning involves creating a structured plan – ideally with support from your health professional or someone you trust – that you work through when you’re experiencing suicidal thoughts, feelings, distress or crisis.

Your safety plan starts with things you can do by yourself, such as thinking about your reasons to live and distracting yourself with enjoyable activities. It then moves on to coping strategies and people you can contact for support – your friends, family and health professionals.

The safety planning model was developed in the US by suicide prevention experts Barbara Stanley and Gregory Brown. It has been used extensively by US veterans’ health organisations, hospital emergency departments and high schools, and there is strong evidence that it works. Many health professionals in Australia also use some form of safety planning to support clients experiencing suicidal thoughts or feelings, or after a suicide attempt.

beyondblue has an app you can use to create a safety plan, called BeyondNow.

The BeyondNow app takes the principles of safety planning and makes it even easier to use – so rather than carrying around a piece of paper, you’ve got it on your phone at all times. It’s free to download from the Apple Store or Google Play.

If you don’t have a smartphone or would prefer to use your desktop or laptop, BeyondNow is also available to use on our website.

Do you have a safety plan?  Do you have questions around how you might create one, or fill out some of the sections? 

This thread is for discussing ideas around creating a safety plan, and sharing tips about what has been most useful about this process for you.

Below are two videos featuring Peter and Nic, who have both used safety plans successfully.  

Peter

Nic

96 Replies 96

hey rosebud

i really relate to ur post

for me having an old safety plan had some use, but a lot of the stuff was dated

most of the ppl on there in the emergency contacts - were old friends i'd lost touch with, (some who had abandoned me, too) and aa lot of the places i'd put down to go to whch were helpful in crises, were no longer relevant as they'd shut during covid.

I've since made an updated one and it's much more helpful.

It has some interesting sections like "obstacles to implementing safety plan" and then some "solutions to overcoming obstacles."

I found this super helpful. There were some things on the safety plan that were hard for me to do realistically, so i had to brainstorm ways around it.
I wander if there are other places online that help u make one, other than beyondblue's BeyondNow app.

I feel lately very suicidal, and I have the saftey plan which helps me. I'm glad u feel safe although bit concerned about hte "as I've ever been." Do u feel at risk?

Rupes79
Community Member
I think this a good idea I’m just worried about someone seeing the app on my phone and getting worried. I don’t discuss my mental health issues with any friends or family so I’m sure it would come as a shock if they saw it.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

hi rupe you don't need to do it on the app, it can also be done on a browser/laptop, then u can email it to urself. i don't hvae the app on my phone (i dont use apps much, too cluttered for my MH).

Kahlilli
Community Member

Over the years I've learnt to tell when I'm slipping and funnily enough what helps picks me up is are takeaway meals. Something I usually find really yummy (when I just have no desire to eat) can tempt me back from the edge. I usually don't treat myself much. I can't go on holidays because of my anxiety so when I start slipping I will really treat myself to nice takeaways. I like to eat them in a bathtub in warm water with my ipad and browse internet.

Apart from that I don't really have a safety plan. I would probably call lifeline though.

amberlite
Community Member
The safety plan is a GREAT idea I will certainly find time this week to make a safety plan commitment.

Camebacktoshowyouicouldfl
Community Member

Hi everyone, first time posting but I wanted to contribute to this lovely supportive forum. I’ve given the BeyondNow app a go and find it really helpful when I feel like I’m sliding into the darkness to remind me of my reasons to live and to see photos that remind me too. I find myself clicking on it almost out of habit now instead of something like Facebook that usually makes we feel worse.

It can be hard at first to think of things, but I added to it over time when I thought of something or read something I found comforting. Some aren’t very tangible but are quotes that remind me of perspective and how big the universe is which sometimes helps to see beyond the tunnel vision. I’ve found some quotes from articles on The School of Life which are good for this.

And I remove things that I find aren’t working anymore in the moment.

When you’re in the darkness and force yourself to look at those reasons to live it makes you really appreciate those things when you’re feeling a bit better. No matter how unbearable things get, those reasons will always be there. We just can’t see them in the darkness sometimes.

We all deserve to be here ❤️

Hey camebacktoshowyou....

Having a safety plan is great

As well as beyond now some mh professionals or support teams have other formats, in a way it can be really helpful to get to know Ur own personal coping skills and triggers, to help on Ur life journey...

I've made 3 and they do change and evolve as new ppl enter my life, circumstances change, and new supports become available xx

Thanks for your reply Sleepy21.

100%. I’d never heard of safety plans before finding the app. It was much more than I was expecting it to be, and so glad I did. And it’s great that there are other options out there to help people find what works for them.

Sure thing CB, Ur post was really inspiring, thanks so much

I love the idea of quotes. I think that could really help.

My safety plan was made with my case manager.

It has some triggers, and it has a section also on obstacles to getting help, and ways to circumvent these problems

I've also seen ones which have places u can go to be with others in a safe way, I guess like accessible public spaces. Sometimes being around others is soothing I'm sorry u struggle with si, it is so draining but I liked hearing Ur input here and hope u find comfort and support here, as I have

Thanks Sleepy21, you have made me feel very welcome. I appreciate it.

That’s really great. It’s good to have those obstacles anticipated in advance so you have a plan when you might not otherwise be able to see it clearly.

One of my favourite things is just getting outside and focussing on the trees, the sky, flowers, birds and spotting cats as a reminder that there is so much beauty and a whole world outside of my head - especially helpful recently during spring. There’s so much life out there.