FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Walking Shoes - Walking and Other Exercise

Guest_1055
Community Member

Hey to anyone reading this.

Last night I had an idea about starting a new thread about exercise especially walking. I am aware that walking is very beneficial for our mental, emotional and physical well being. And by actually doing it....well it can make a huge difference to how we cope with the storms that we face in life.

OK, I am not real good at disciplining myself to walk, and have to really push myself to do it. And sometimes it is even hard to leave this bedroom. Anyway I am not a beginner walker, as I have stuck to sort of a plan before. So I know that it does make me feel somewhat better. But I only stayed on the plan for a couple of months, then gave up.....for whatever reason. So here I am again wanting desperately to not fail this time.

So I guess this thread is for anyone that does walk, anyone that is struggling to walk because of depression or anxiety issues. And anyone else really......

I am unsure of the outcome of all this. But my ideas included: Sharing about things we have found out about exercise especially about walking. Writing down the reasons that one would chose to walk ( like something to help motivate). Being accountable in same way. Sharing about the places where we actually do walk, like the beach, gym, around the block, with the dog, out to the clothesline and back. And any other useful tips that could help others. So here we go......

4,381 Replies 4,381

Guest_1055
Community Member

I used to walk in some old volley shoes, I made do until I had finances to buy a better pair of shoes. I now own a pair of proper shoes that feel very light, airy and comfortable to wear when walking. I think the brand is "Nike air", or something like that. It does make a huge difference to your feet and ankles. So it helps to have a good pair of shoes if you can......

Hugs xx

Ok it is now 7:50 pm and I plan to venture out of this house to walk in about 10 minutes time. I am feeling physically tired so I don't know how far I will actually walk. And I really can't be bothered to walk anyway, I just want to lie here. Ok I am leaving now.

Hugs

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

This is a great idea Shell! I'd love to read about what you and others see while you're walking - I think it's a good way to help us look outside of ourselves, as well as getting some exercise.

Looking forward to hearing about your walk!

xx

Ok I have now just returned, so I walked for about 40 minutes. As I was a little detained at the beginning. My heart is beating fast, I am not sure if that is good or not. But I am thinking it is. Walked along a road mainly that runs along side the main road. Up passed the primary school, didn't see many people really. There was a nice breeze so that was good. Um my physical body feels loser. Ok that is it for today

Hugs xx

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Well done Shell! xx

Scotchfinger
Community Member

Walking is very important for me.

This morning I walked 40 minutes to a coffee shop, stopped for an hour, read the paper, had a coffee then walked 40 minutes back. That happens about 3 times a week. Ideally I should walk every day twice a day if I want to lose the 15 kg I want to lose.

I walk to lose weight or not become more obese. But I walk to get outside, out of the house, get some fresh air and a fresh perspective. Summer is a problem with the heat. I have to get it done early morning.

Guest_1055
Community Member

Oh thankyou Kaz!

Hugs xx

Hey Mr Scotchfinger, when you say walking outside gives you a fresh perspective. Are you saying...well you might be feeling a bit sad or whatever. Then when you venture on outside and just walk you start to feel a bit brighter? Or perhaps circumstances don't seem so bad, as you may have thought previously?

Hugs

Shell xx

hi shelley

well, yes sometimes I do have a sadness that needs a new perspective but often it is a problem or issue I'd like to resolve in my head. Or just a break from rumination about a past event.