FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Struggling with post-covid symptoms and its impact

Bluereader
Community Member

Had COVID in the second to last week of July. Since then I've been struggling with post-COVID symptoms that include a persistent cough, tiredness, lack of energy to do things and random mood slumps. I know that these are normal from what I've read and that it can take up to 12 weeks for these symptoms to disappear but I'm struggling.

Even now as I'm typing this I was completely fine yesterday and happy at work and now I'm feeling tired and just flat in terms of my mood. I can't get in to see my GP and all the other docs are booked out unless I try ringing the medical centre first thing when they open for cancellations. On top of all of this I have anxiety, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and headaches from tight and sore muscles and worried about my weight and trying and failing to eat healthier and exercise. I don't know what to do.

9 Replies 9

Sophie_M
Dear Bluereader

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums we are so glad that you have made you way here and had the bravery to post.  We want you to know that this is a safe space to discuss your thoughts, feelings and experiences and receive honest responses and suggestions from fellow forum users.

We are sorry to hear that you are having to navigate this difficult time, on top of your IBS and other health issues.  Whilst it is good that you know it’s common for COVID symptoms to last this long, it’s important to acknowledge how you are feeling right now and to know that it’s okay to feel this way.  It might be helpful to think about what kinds of things you can do within those limits to carry you through this time, for example, reaching out to others (such as this forum, so this is great that you have!), or channeling those emotions through other strategies such as journaling, doing something creative, or meditation and so on.  

While you wait for our lovely community members to respond, please know that we are also here 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via our Webchat.  Our team who answer the phones are ready to have a supportive and non-judgmental chat whenever you need it.

We’re sure to hear from some of our lovely community members here on your thread soon. They’re a really amazing community, and will have understanding, advice and kind words for you.  Thanks again for sharing. It’s a powerful and brave first step towards feeling better.

Regards 

Sophie M

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Bluereader,

I am sorry you are going through this! I had COVID about a month ago, and I thought I had gotten over it, but I got a cold last week and have had a bad cough (presumable thanks to COVID). I am sorry you are still having symptoms, it might be worth seeing a doctor when they are available.

I have a similar condition to IBS called Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), whilst this is the more severe and "internally visible" version of IBS, I know how you must feel on that front. I had surgery planned for my IBD, and it got postponed until the end of August because I got COVID, I am symptom-free now (yay) but this surgery was meant to prevent me from symptoms coming back. So COVID once again inconvenienced me, so I know how you feel. Please try to stay strong! Do you have a doctor (like a gastroenterologist) you can see about your IBS?

I think you just need to see a doctor when they are available, it may be tomorrow or the next day, but it will be worth it.

I hope things improve soon,

Jaz xx

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi bluereader,

Sorry to read what you have been going through. 

I had COVID about 3 weeks ago and similar to you have a semi persistent cough, tiredness, lack of energy to do things and random mood slumps. A few other people I have spoken  to are similar also. We also say that we are not the same as we were before COVID. 

Someone else indicated that getting out into the sun is helpful. But that can be more difficult when you work in an office.

Annie22
Community Member

Hi Bluereader, 

Not sure if you’re still checking this discussion, but just wondering how you’ve been and if you have since recovered? I am asking as a fellow post COVID fatigue sufferer. I hope that things have improved for you. Best wishes, Annie

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Blureader

i read your post and I could have written it. I had covid about 6 weeks and have been do fatigued. I have had a dry hacking cough for a week and spent today in bed but still feel very tired. 
i know I will feel better soon but at the moment I am sick of being tired.

I hope all those suffering from post covid feel better soon and have support and understanding from friends and family. 

Hi quirkywords

I hear you. I have been lucky enough to avoid the cough, but have the fatigue with muscle aches and pains, and having to rest/sleep often, that goes with this. It is frustrating, I agree. It’s a good thing to distract yourself if you can when you’re feeling able. Ecomama had some good suggestions if you look up the discussion I started on ‘post coronavirus fatigue support’. I’m also hoping you recover soon and are feeling well supported. Rest up and don’t overextend yourself. 

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks Annie 

I just keep plodding on. 
i will check the thread you quoted. Fariends I feel just assume I am better so try not to complain.

https://youtu.be/OImgn5YQ5c8 

I hope the link works. This is an explanation of what is happening with your body post COVID.  Best to rest. The Gupta Program is a brain training program and relates to this post. If interested. I’m about to check it out. 

I also found a pacing program (uk based). Look up Pamela Rose fatigue coach. I’m in a ‘crash’ at the moment and so I found I am not pacing myself appropriately. This lady has recovered from a chronic fatigue illness and has put together the pacing program. Again, if interested.

Rest and deep relaxation are key! I’m yet to hone it. Best wishes quirky words and I will let you know if I find anything else out there that looks helpful. Be kind to yourself. I know it’s hard. 

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everyone,

I've recently had Covid, it has been a week now. Early days I know! My biggest issues are continued breathlessness on exertion which includes when trying to dress and shower, vertigo, nausea and fatigue. Has anyone found anything to help with these issues?

Years ago I had chronic fatigue, so that at least is familiar to me. 

I have been sending many emails back and forth to work trying to get the weekend off work and paid for as the boss had told me I could return to work! I'm still not sure if paid sick leave has been sorted even though  I went to a Respiratory Clinic and received a medical certificate I forwarded to work.

I'm already fighting my mental health demons, so this on top is not helping!

One moment at a time right! I am trying to find a balance between doing what is achievable and what I feel I need to do.