FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Is a close brush with death a good tonic for life ?

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Today I was driving with my youngest daughter.    We missed a huge car smash by about 2 inches.  Afterwards I had a couple of easy hours where I was more positive.   Is a close brush with death a good tonic for life ?

The thought of losing everything, in a split second, seems to make me want to live more.  Hollywood is always portraying impossible situations that, at the last minute, get resolved.   Is seeking a happy ending that simple ?    There are plenty of excepts like "Thelma and Louise", "The Elephant Man", "The Godfather", etc, "Don't Look Back", "Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid".   But the spirit of these "negative movies" can still inspire.

Adios, David.

6 Replies 6

Scotty2013
Community Member
Dear David I intend to go Skidding into my Grave with a burt pav in one hand! :).. Sounds good...right? TC for now.

vip
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
David Charles I totally agree with you. After surviving a suicide I look back at my life thinking I survived Im here its my turn to really make the most out of the one life god gave me life is very precious we have to really enjoy every day and not waste a minute.I think this is the attitude you do need to push depression  and the black dog away.

Dear Scotty,

Yep, why not ?   I'm thinking sprinkling my ashes over the script for Rocky VI and then setting it allight.   Or if the contracts to film this mega blockbuster are in motion then maybe do the scene again where Rocky puts 6 egg yolks in a cup, with my ashes lightly sprinkled on top, and then drinks it in one hit.

Probably not fair to joke about Sylvester Stallone.  He did Director/Produce John Travoltas big hit "Staying Alive" and his mum is a clairvoyant.   Didn't see that one coming.  Ouch !     This feels like the old BB site - a bit more interactive although I would argue that someone born in 2013 might not have mastered the internet yet.  Lol.

Adios, David.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear David Charles, my friend, well I too couldn't agree any more.

There are a few reasons in my situation, firstly I would have missed out on seeing Marcie, my first grand daughter and all the antics that I get up to, those which I have done most of my life, even in depression, like walking into a room full of my sons friends and putting a potato chip on my shoulder and saying 'look kids I have a chip on my shoulder', just think about that saying.

I was also deeply worried about what would happen to Tessie if I died for any reason, and had planned for a few different people to look after her, but I don't have worry now.

With Moo Moo she would go back to my son.

All of these circumstances to miss them especially Marcie would have been devastating not to join in with her growing up.

However when we are faced from a death all of these do not cross our mind, it's only when we have saved our fate, and live another day, and remember the pav must be mouldy by now so Scotty turn on the oven and start cooking. Geoff.

Dear Geoff,

I'm a bit sad to hear that Moo Moo, faithful companions whilst Tessie was passing, is also being passed back to your son.   Does this mean you'll search for another pet ?

Maybe grandchildren should be available on Medicare living anti depressants ?

I was out today and got really depressed suddenly and started thinking "What's the point ?". I had seen a shop sign ;   WOMEN'S CLOTHING - MADE TO MEASURE.    It triggered all those ideas about "Why do we get treatment only to NOT FIT and get another relapse ?".    The whole buying clothing that was so well fitted, so perfect, so wonderful and yet, not a bar of the person's personality, character, etc, and, dare I venture, mental health.

Rather like we only see the colour not the form.   The action not the reason. And how come Men can't have fitting clothes too ?    I would be challenging Simone de Bevoirs book "The Second Sex"over these issues........Lol.    Seriously though, when semi normal it's hard to escape the plod.

Adios, David.   

PS  Maybe it was the utter banality of WOMEN'S CLOTHING - MADE TO MEASURE.    To joke about about things - was this the original intention of Beyond Blue ?   That responders and moderators alike should sit around starkers whilst inter netting and waiting for their measured lives to appear on the horizon ?    I notice a chuckle force through the website from Mod B.   So I must add !

dear David Charles my friend, it does sound as though I said that, but I'm keeping Moo Moo, it was just in the any event that I had been killed, and if that happens then she will go back to my son.

She is a lovely little dog but no means does any of the quirks that I loved from Tessie, she has her own and as time passes these will grow with me.

I am still thinking whether or not to get another puppie, but if someone showed me one I couldn't refuse, I would go weak at the knees.

Your right about 'made to measure' is this a spark that would start depression for someone.

Personally I have great trouble finding clothes that do fit me but instead I feel like a grape that has been squeezed, and shoes, well most people in the stores can't even lift size 14, let alone sell them, yet my twin has no trouble at all. Geoff.