FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Being involved

lissyloo
Community Member
Is anyone here involved with working with people that have anxiety or doing something to make a difference? Im not even in recovery quite yet but I feel this urge to just be a part of this field one day to help others with anxiety. Are there workshops or something that I can attend to help me get through recovery? Im determined to recover!
3 Replies 3

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Dear lissyloo,

That's a big subject.    Try looking up "mindfulness" or "music therapy" for a start.  Some have recommended Cognitive Behaviour Therapy too - called CBT by most but I usually use the nickname CBD, as in city road map.  Lol.

Adios, David.

TristanM
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Lissy,

I'm in a similar situation to you, as far as wanting to be involved and work toward helping people. There are people here who will be far more knowledgable than I, David will be most certainly, but I have recently signed up to the BlueVoices community, and expressed my desire to get involved in anything, to try and draw on my experiences to help others (I consider myself to be 'in recovery' from depression and anxiety, as it is not really a day-to-day burden anymore). Outside of this, I take any chance I can to promote the work of Beyond Blue and other organisations who work on mental illness, such as headspace, who I raised $1200 for earlier this year, the Black Dog Institute etc.

If you find any further info, please share!

Tristan

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Dear Tristan & Lissy,

I remembered this old rationale:   that it is the healed that heal the sick.

It's from an 18th century philosophy but I have had too much chocolate cake to dig out the memory correctly.     I guess it's the same as thinking that if your motivation is genuine and right from the heart then you will be a fantastic therapist.

I had this other idea that you should do voluntary work at creches, kindy's, special schools or even walk peoples' dogs.    It's your attitude and awareness that are your best skills.   Plus helping other people is a great tonic.  Plus chocolate.

Adios,David.