FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

HOSPICE LIVING ...

gregz
Community Member

Death and Dying is Alive, believe it or not. That's why hospices exist. Best would be "At Home". As our body collapses, various levels of support can be used.

Eventually only very professional stuff, very expensive and tricky, might be needed. Between these two extremes, we "living" people can be so upset. This discussion topic is for the End_Of_Life feelings.

Our End_Of_Life existence is not usually comfortable. That's why so many chemical "Downers" (alcohol, tranquilizers, THC, etc) are so popular. Being sensible and awake to real life is so scary.

In this topic, we will try to make this End_of_life stage less scary. Dying and death are natural. That's a scary secret.

4 Replies 4

gregz
Community Member

I am very new, although we have been living in this government hospice for about ten years, with 11 other independent units.

We watch each other moving closer to heaven. When our ambulance comes every week for one of us, we know that the newest resident will soon be occupying the vacant apartment.

The newest residents seem younger now. Baby boomers are disappearing, to be replaced by survivors of accidents.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Gregz~

I confess I'm not sure what you are saying here in these two posts, please forgive me for being dense. Some things like being at home as long as possible are very often the best way to be.

I had a friend pass way abut 18months ago who lived alone and was in the fortunate situation of being able to meet their own needs concerning food, medication and so on with just the help of a regular visitor that brought in the groceries and medication. It was only in the last few days that weakness made activity impossible and the person decided it was better to pass away without medical intervention at home. Great determination and belief was the basis both of their survival and their end.

Another I knew well years ago was in hospital for 9 months before passing way and had access to all that modern medicine in a hospital environment could provide. I guess it may have prolonged their life a while, and did offer comforts and company of staff and family, no isolation.

I guess it depends upon the basic nature of the person and their circumstances, and sufficient control to decide.

In any case you are right that death is a natural part of life and should ideally be met with equanimity, acceptance and little discomfort.

So have I missed the point of what you are trying to say? My apologies if so. Perhaps you would like to say more.

Croix

gregz
Community Member

One month since my last post here. We baby boomers have our preferred chemicals for dealing with life.

The newcomers to this low cost hospice come with their preferred chemicals: (drugs).

Thereiis no residential staff. No common room. Shared main entrance. Large car parking for our many carers, ambulance, etc.

Independent living means getting to heaven, without any supervision.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Gregz, the baby boomers era, as it's always been known as, can't live forever and whether or not this COVID-19 period will have it's own name, we have to wait and see.

Palliative care focuses on providing patients relief from pain and other symptoms of a serious illness, no matter the diagnosis or stage of disease, and their aim is to improve the quality of life for both patients and their families.

No matter how we pass away or the reason why there are still going to be family and friends who only wish it's not a time to remember, they only want the good memories from the past to remember their loved ones from.

It affects each and every one all in a different way, we all grieve differently.

Best wishes.

Geoff.