FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Helpful podcasts

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone

I hope you're all doing well today. I would love to hear about other member's favourite podcasts.

It's a new concept for me, podcasts. My daughter told me about the "No such thing as a fish" podcast by the QI Elves. It's funny and full of information. It makes me laugh too. They laugh a lot lol.

I stumbled across "And she rises the ___ up!" by Amanda Frances. Pretty wild but full of energy and vigour. Awesome visualisation exercises and aiming to support women to financial freedom.

That's it, I'm out lol!

Do you have one you'd like to share? More than one even?

I guess being in the Staying Well forum, it'd be great if the subject was comedy or personal growth or just enjoyable for you.

Thankyou
Ecomama

6 Replies 6

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Hi Ecomama,

What a great topic!

The only podcast I listen to is Hamish and Andy. Which is funny escapism for me.

Looking forward to getting some great suggestions.

Kind thoughts, Jess

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks so much Jess!

I had no idea Hamish and Andy did a podcast. What have I been missing out on?
So much by the sounds of things.

I quit FB over a year ago which was good for me. Pinterest annoys me a bit, it's great for ideas but probably like a 1 sided FB lol.

Thanks Jess, I'll give them a go!

Travel well
EM

eight
Community Member

i don't do too many podcasts because im uh. very bad adhd and i tune out on podcasts very easily i Need Visual or i start astral projecting. i've done a few eps of coronacast but that's the abc's covid q&a podcast so i dont think it'd be good to recommend to people unless you want to Hear the News like me. i was listening to um, the mcelroy brothers are in trolls world tour about three brothers who decide they want voice roles in the sequel of trolls (2016, dir. mike mitchell) and harassing agents and voice actors and studios on "hey can we have a role in trolls world tour". i found it too interesting when they talk about some ins and outs re: voice acting but maybe im just a nerd about that stuff. i know the same dudes have a lot more podcast series like an advice show and one about d&d but i don't have the attention span to listen to lengthy ones like those

i have a friend who's been really liking the magnus archives - horror anthology podcast about a team of archivists cataloging paranormal events but he's said personally if you're getting into it its hard to follow for him (esp if you're bad at telling voices apart) its slow and the plot does take time to start up. said friend is a seppo who also rioted over a character he thought was called jared key actually being spelled as gerard keay

i don't really like pinterest too much due to its habit to clog up search results and how it has very little credits to images/art due to its format but i do admire like, people who have these highly-curated aesthetic boards. i stumbled into tumblr and burnt out all my time and energy on useless discourse arguing paragraphs with internet strangers and made myself genuinely a horrible person. even though the userbase is full of goddamn wackjobs its nice to navigate and structured and after getting myself away from it i just spend it looking at pretty photos or art of books or games i like. but really the only presentable one is my specific corner on there for "posts that remind me of my d&d character, reluctant grump of a warlock hobbit with a cat for a familiar"

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your input eight!

Sounds like you have lots of very interesting and entertaining things to watch and listen to.

Yes I was a News addict for while this year. watched it too much for my mh. After realising the stats are so distorted and far from the truth (background in stats and research), I thought why bother? I was only getting increasingly anxious.

So I brought my dome of focus back to what I could influence. My home, garden, kids, work.

Thanks eight, travel well
EM

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I had the following clip come through on my YouTube feed and after listening to it a few times, I believe it has changed my life for the (far) better. 

"I wish I knew this when I was younger" by Gabor Mate. 

It's a long podcast and covers a LOT. 
I found the life changing part was his analysis of the power of "triggers". When this information really sunk in to my mind and I accepted the information as truth, I've had a complete transformation of thought processes. 
Just like magic. 

I have Complex PTSD, with my version of this, I've had countless "triggers" to deal with. 
Some were completely debilitating, confining and I felt literally insane when I was in a locked up reactionary zone. 

Sure I had effective "Exposure Therapy" and worked more than compliantly with my Psychologist on the SOURCE of each trigger. So much so that she taught me how to do ET on my own, which was scary at the time, but after doing it and doing it, the situations that used to trigger me, lost their "power". 

Gabor Mate talks about the impetus of "triggers" and where it all comes from. 
This was the missing piece for me. 

Yesterday I had opportunities to practice pretty much staying in situations with other people that would previously have had me shut me shut down, run, do the whole shebang. 
Not at all yesterday. 

I literally felt SAFE throughout the entire conversations. Silently acknowledging so many parts that would've previously held "trigger laden content" but they didn't. I was calm, listening intently, I even felt FREE being there.... like I was more ABLE to engage in difficult conversations with others like a "normal person" lol... 

Be patient and kind with yourself. Practicing self-care has brought huge transformations to my life also. 
Love EMxxxx

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello

I've just recently gotten into podcasts and thought it would be great to find some MH focused ones. I was going to start a thread to ask for recommendations, but found this one. So I've noted EM's of Gabor Mate (thanks for sharing!), and wondering if anyone else has any that they have found helpful/interesting? 

Katy