FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling of Regret and Worry

SC_12
Community Member

Hi 🙂

I'm currently studying at a Uni here in Melbourne. I got a cat 2 weeks ago and returned him to a rescue organization due to severe anxiety and stress. I have cats back in my home country, and since I miss them, I decided to adopt a cat. However, after having him, I started feeling uneasy, and anxious and had extreme worries. Worries like if he won't poop, scared too much if he goes out when I'm away most of the day (WIndows and doors re closed though), or my inability to play with him when I get home from work as I'm mentally and physically tired. This led me to sleepless nights, panic and not doing important things like going to school, low energy at work and not being able to talk to my partner and close friends at all. I decided to return him and prioritize myself knowing that I have to juggle so much with study, work, and obligations back in my home country and also for my cat, that he finds a home that has play time and can fully take care of him. Now, I feel sad all of a sudden, miss the cat and sometimes feel empty when I'm alone and if I made the right decision. Can you help me feel better and not to be so harsh on myself? I feel so bad 😞

2 Replies 2

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sounds like you are homesick and compensating with something familiar to reconnect with what you left behind.

That's okay, but it also seems you have a lot on your plate already with study, work, friends, and partner - add anything else and something will have to fall off the other side!

I think you made the right decision, but maybe you could meet half way by visiting friends with cats to help smooth over your separation anxiety.

SC_12
Community Member

Thank you! This helps me feel better and reflect on my decisions.  What you said about "adding anything else and one will fall" made me think that my decision is fine and is good for myself as well.