FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Alcohol Free Days (part 2)

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi folks

April is fast approaching and as a result of the start of a new month I'm going to get off the grog again.  Made it through in February - just that little bit tougher in April though - cause there's a couple more days to get through!!  🙂

If any Beyond Blue poster/community member who reckons they'd like to give this challenge a go with me, I'd LOVE to hear from you on this thread - it'll all commence on Tuesday, so prior to then whoever is interested in trying this, just make sure you've got no more alky-hole in your home cause that'll remove any temptation.  Just a first tip I guess.

No dramas at all if there's no-one, but I just thought I'd put this out there for anyone who is thinking that now might be a good time to have a bit of a 'dry-out'.

ALSO, if any one "does" come on board, again absolutely no dramas if you drop off at some stage.  It's the process of giving it a go is the main thing.

Cheers beers (for a couple more days anyway!)  🙂

Neil

85 Replies 85

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
dear Neil, my esteemed friend, you have some great participants joining you which is great, but as the professionals always say, just take it on a day by day situation, and don't look down at it as a 30 day proposition, because it seems to be too long. Geoff.

Vera55
Community Member

Good morning dear participants. Well day one is here and I hope there are not too many hangovers! 

Number 1 thing we have to remember is kindness to ourselves, like Geoff suggested in case we trip up. And it's ok. No one will be judging us. 

I love that Pink clip in let's get this party started where she falls and dusts herself off and continues. So will we. And if any of us stumbles we all understand. 

So, let's get going! So relieved I found you my new friends.

scorch
Community Member

I decided not to have any grog last night because I didn't want to start my month off feeling seedy.  So day 1 is looking bright so far.

How are you guys feeling on day 1?

scorch
Community Member
P.S.  - Vera... You are right.  One day at a time, if any of us stumbles that's ok - we'll just get up and try again 🙂

MaryG
Community Member

Day 1 and I'm feeling strong, healthy and determined!

Neil_1
Community Member

Mary wrote:   Day 1 and I'm feeling strong, healthy and determined!

Dear all,

It's only early afternoon - the day has not been a good one - and I am wrestling with my consciious, my conscious, my, oh bugga it, with my mind!!

Help me please, I should even be righting this, I feel such a sham, as I was the one who proposed this and I'm weakening already!  What a screw-up!!  

I've done it before - so why is so hard this time?

Neil

😞

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Neil,

It's not a screw-up!! It's just day one, actually half of day one!

You can do it, I know you can, I believe in you and yes you can do it.

OK, go back and read what Mary wrote:

Day 1 and I'm feeling strong, healthy and determined!

So I just had a thought - if you are not going to drink for a month I will not drink Coke for a month.  I don't drink a lot of it but maybe every second day I will drink a can. So imagine all the sugar I am having!!!

I will stand by you and the others because it's the dedication and determination that inspires me to do this.

I could have done an extra 30min exercise daily but that's not giving up something and I could've given up chocolate but no maybe not; that is so difficult to do. And with Easter coming up - how can you not have an easter egg?

So, no coke for me for the month of April.

Go Neil, you can do it!!!   And don't beat yourself up!!

Jo 

MaryG
Community Member

Hi Neil,

Don't beat yourself up. Maybe a whole month was too much of a challenge. How many hours have you lasted already today? Maybe aim for one hour more tomorrow. Believe me I know how hard this is and I have often asked myself the same question. "I've done it before. Why can't I do it now?"

Can you distract yourself? Why do you want to drink? Is there something else you can do that will make you feel good? Go for a run maybe. Think about how many calories are in a glass of beer and how amazing your toned, fat free abs will look in your next competition.

Mary

Vera55
Community Member

All good responses. 

This is not a competition to see who will win at the end. It is a learning opportunity for ourselves to see if this approach works for us 

Dear Neil, The fact that it worked once does not mean it will be easier again for a thousand and one reasons. 

I am doing this because it is my first time and because it gives me a feeling of being grounded. Plus if I Just HAVE to have a drink I will and I will tell you and join you the next day of not having one. I just hate being controlled by the desire to have a drink. 

we don't need more things to struggle with.  So be gentle with your demons and if the timing is not right so be it. Neil, and many of your fellow writers give so much to this site. I would be really proud to have the kind of track record that all of you have. 

I just got my walking shoes! They are so gorgeous I am too intimidated to put them on. Maybe when it's cooler. 

Haha, lucky I copied my response before posting as it was a system error again! I am learning.

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi Vera

I think I might have welcomed you before, but I can't remember, so here's my official Welcome To Beyond Blue.  I don't know why I do this, but I just like to ... 🙂  And I must say that it's great that you're posting - and it's great to have you on this site with us;  not only on this thread, but right across all the forums.  I've seen you post to others and it's great that you're getting into it.  The more people we have doing this the better - to make sure we embrace new people and to support them.

To Jo,

Thanx for your encouragement and support Jo - and yes, why not make it an April free of coke.  I think Matty is going to try for the same thing.

To Mary,

You posed a very good question.  Why do I want to have a drink?  Because it makes me feel good, because it then numbs my mind from the constant sober hurting that it stresses me with.  I think that's two ok reasons.  🙂

And yes, I did distract myself - went to the gym on my day off and gave my forearms a bit of a session.  And am now back home and have my water bottle beside me.  At this time of evening it's normally one of my beers in one of my many stubby holders.  I kind of collect them and must have over 30;  but they'll have a rest for a while now.

Thanx for the support earlier - I am better now and will be able to chalk up Day One.

But again, yes it's not a contest at all - it's just a little distraction and something to muck around with for those wishing too.

Neil