FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Confused and anxious about my gender identity

SoupForTheSoul
Community Member
So I'm turning 20 in a month and I'm not really sure of my gender identity. I am struggling with depression and anxiety as well. I am currently living as a male, but I sometime wish I was born female. I don't experience any gender dysphoria, sometimes I just feel like I'd be happier as a woman. I've been struggling with this for nearly five years and have recently told my family about it. They're trying to help me through this but they are just as lost as I am. Sometimes I feel confident that i want to transition fully to female, but other times i feel confident that i want to stay male. I regularly feel worried that if i do transition, then i will regret it later in life. I'm scared I'll find out it's just a phase or something. I have been trying to think of myself as a woman or even use gender neutral pronouns when i think about this stuff, but i frequently find myself referring to myself as male. On the one hand, I've referred to myself as a male for almost 20 years and that can be a hard habit to break. But on the other hand, shouldn't it be easier to think of myself as a she if i'm really transgender? Sometimes i feel like i treat my dreams wrong. Sometimes i'll act as if they're what i'm really feeling, because a dream is what my subconscious is showing me. But I also think that they're just dreams and nothing more. Sometimes in my dreams i'm a female version of myself. I like these dreams because i feel so happy, and when i wake up there's an emptiness in my heart. Other times it's the same but i appear how i am now. Should i be putting any stock into dreams? or should i treat them as meaningless fantasies. I'm not unhappy living as a male but i feel like i would be happier as a woman. Another worry is that if i do transition, what if no one loves me? What if i never find a partner because any woman I fall for can only see me as a man? I know i shouldn't base my future on this but it's scary to think that i might be alone for the rest of my life. I find that online, people tend to mistake me for a woman based on how i interact with other players and i find that i like it when they do. But i also feel like i'm putting on a mask when i talk to people online, and that they aren't seeing the real me. But i also worry that my online persona is how i really am and my anxiety holds be back as a person in real life. Sorry for the wall of text, but i just don't really know what to do. Thank you for reading this. It helps to get this off my chest.
12 Replies 12

Hesse
Community Member

Sorry if this bothers you since I don't have any advice to give... I just want to say thank you for posting this. I have been feeling the exact same way and it's comforting to know that someone else is going through the same thing and may have helped me to understand myself a little better. So thank you~

Hi Hesse,

Honestly the fact that other people feel the same way is helpful to me too. Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier about this, I forgot what email i used to log in and when i tried using my username it wouldn't work for some reason.

So about a week ago i was in the shower and while i was washing my hair and just staring at a wall i started thinking about this stuff, and about coming out as transgender. I have anxiety so my thoughts on how other people view me generally aren't great. Needless to say this time wasn't any better. But i did realise that in all of these fantasies i was having about coming out and being transgender, i was always happy in them and i was always stronger in them. Like emotionally i mean. I ended up just lying on the floor in my room for like 20 minutes thinking about this stuff and as i thought more about it i became more certain that this is what i want. My anxiety was holding me back. I talked to my mum and my sister about it, and i came to the conclusion that i am transgender. One of my worries was that my experience wasn't the 'stereotypical' transgender experience. I didn't have gender dysphoria, i didn't know from a young age that i was a different gender. I was worried that because i didn't have these experiences, i wasn't really transgender. What i realised is that it doesn't matter what other people think, and it doesn't matter if my experiences arent the stock standard experiences everyone thinks of when they hear 'trans'. I realised that the fact that i've spent a quarter of my life trying to figure this out and the only argument i had for not being transgender was "but what if?" just proves that this isn't all a phase. This is how i really feel and all that matters is how I feel about this because I'm the only one it affects, and if people i know and love can't accept me like this then do i really want to know them

So I've come out as transgender publicly. Everyone i know was super supportive. I feel really happy about this and i'm super happy that i had that moment of certainty where my anxiety wasnt holding me back. So Thank You everyone for your help and kind words while i was going through this. You all helped me see things from new perspectives and helped me realise i wasn't alone in how i felt. I can finally have some certainty about my gender and i'm taking steps to show how i feel about my identity. Thank you all for your support and i hope that anyone who reads this thread can find support here. ❤️

Hey Soup!

I'm so happy you're starting to figure it out! Your story sounds a lot like mine - I think we had exactly the same thought processes. I hope you're having a good time, wherever you are. 🙂

Jay