FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

You can't fight the Universe

Wilbur1954
Community Member
I'm a really young thinking 65 male. Im outgoing, considerate, loyal, trustworthy, supportive.... the list goes on.
People seem to like me at first but no-one really wants to have a friendship. This has happened all my life and while having acquaintances is ok there aren't those special someones apart from my wife that i can share things with.
But I had an epithany a few years ago that life is governed by a higher power. I call it the Universe but others might refer to it as God, Fate or Luck.
The one sure thing in life is that you can't fight the Universe, so I'm destined never have true friends apart from my wife. But while the Universe lets me have my wife as a friend, It has ensured that I can't have a truly fulfilled marriage by making her have a low libido.
See, you can't beat the Universe!
I wondered how many other people out there feel as I do about the Universe. If you're out there my counsel is to just accept it. You'll surprisingly feel much better. Your expectations drop to zero. When you have no expectations then Life is so much better and easier to accept.
From reading a few posts on this site, i reckon my theory solves most of the problems cited.
13 Replies 13

Wilbur,

wonder what you thought of the rising post.

I understand you are a realist and I identify with that. Not many people see me as being positive.

You have realised that being on this forum people will possibly be positive.

What would you like to gain from the forum?

I have been called a pessimist at times but I see myself as a realist. I have had bad things happen this year due to the fires. then my partner had a heart attack but he is ok now. Now the virus and I question why all these things have happened to me.

I am not sure I blame the universe but I question why me and then I think why not me, Many people had their homes destroyed and so did I and my shop. So I have not thought about the universe, I do question why, but worse things happens so why do I question. Unlike you I don't accept it yet and maybe if I did I would have your calmness.

Hi Wilbur (& a wave to all),

Thank you for writing to me. It’s good to hear from you 🙂

I think everyone interprets the written word (or verbal word) differently. So I think maybe you & I just interpreted that post differently, that’s all.

I think the mention of stars & galaxies was just a nod to science , & that Betternow (waves to Betternow) was trying to say that science isn’t “personal” in the sense that science neither victimises nor applauds people. Nature or the universe, which some people believe can be explained by science, isn’t “personal.”

For example, the sun will rise tomorrow, not because the sun cares whether I’m a good or bad person (or what is going on my personal life), but because it’s rotating on an axis. The sun, or universe’s actions, is not “personal”, or at least not in my eyes.

Thus, my interpretation was Betternow was saying that there isn’t always a reason for why things happen. Stars, galaxies, etc was used to illustrate that point...in the same way that I used the sun as an example.

That good or bad things happen to people due to coincidence or other factors; reasons that are unrelated to a predetermined reason, such as fate or destiny.

Sometimes good things happen to nice people, but sometimes bad things also happen to nice people. Sometimes good things happen to less nice people, but sometimes bad things also happen to less nice people. I don’t believe there is always a reason.

So because I believe there is a certain randomness in life events, a bit of impersonal probability & chance involved, Betternow’s post resonated with me.

I find that thought liberating. There is a certain freedom (to me at least) in knowing that sometimes there is no significant reason for why things happen...

I understand & respect that others may hold a different view, but that is what I believe at least...

I’m not sure if that was clear or very confusing, but that’s how I interpreted it. Thanks for asking, & it’s good to chat 🙂

Kind and caring thoughts,

Pepper

P.S. hi Betternow, I enjoyed your post. If I’ve accidentally misunderstood your post, please don’t hesitate to write in to let us know 🙂

Thank you for your kind words Peppermintbach.

Yes your understanding of my post was perfect in every way. It is often difficult for us posters to fully grasp some of the concepts of our fellow posters. The written word is usually powerful but without human expression and tone of voice, sometimes the written word fails to convey our intentions.

The concept of the universe as a bored bystander was not tolerated by human beings generally before the Age of Enlightenment. Hence the need for early mankind to invoke the metaphysical leading to religion and spirituality.

I'm glad it brings you some comfort.

Hi Betternow (& a wave to Wilbur & all),

You’re most welcome, & thank you for your lovely words. I’m glad my post resonated...

Yes, I agree that the Age of Enlightenment was a very special time in history. It was a time of significant change in how people perceived the world in Europe. Today, we can still see its legacy in many parts of the world...

Kindness and caring,

Pepper