FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Two Sided

l0v3_lan4
Community Member

Does anyone here struggle from Bipolar Disorder, I'm not going to self diagnose with anything, but everyone around me is always saying I might have it and making jokes about it. I did some research on bipolar disorder and learnt the affect it has on relationships with anyone and I could relate to every inch of it.

People always say I'm toxic, or crazy but I think I'm normal.

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Very brave to ask the question. I'm bipolar2, there is distinct differences between 1 and 2 but both are serious. We cant diagnose and there is a danger in assuming from anyone about tagging others or ourselves- thats best left to the psychiatrist.

Some mental illnesses can crossover to others, a bit of this illness and a bit of that. Some can mirror others like mania in ADHD can appear as mania in bipolar. So I was diagnosed incorrectly with adult ADHD and for 6 years took 12 different meds for it and none worked. Then a second opinion was not ADHD but bipolar and dysthymia. The meds for that made all the difference.

To these people you might seem toxic but you might be just "different". Peer pressure and abuse is common for young people and its cruel all because you dont fit in like they do. That means you are more unique than them and you'll find jealousy is often the underlining factor never admitted. A word of advice- embrace your uniqueness and authenticity for it is a gift. I was once laughed at for writing my poetry as being a "sissy" and since then have used it to help victims of crime and other means. Now I feel sorry for those people I no longer have as friends, they are not worthy of my company. And thats a fact of life, that friends are very fluid, they come and go, so improve your friendship by choosing wisely and better.

In summary, get a proper diagnosis, take the steps needed is diagnosed with any disorder like meds and therapy, realise it isnt your fault, take measures to stop abuse like disconnecting with those people and seeking out better quality friends that have empathy, embrace your abilities more than criticising yourself for any disability. Repost anytime if you have any questions.

Smile

TonyWK