FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Teenage daughter

N888
Community Member

What do you do if you find alcohol in your daughters room? Can anyone give me some advice please?

She has such an unhealthy lifestyle. Doesnt exercise, drinks sugar drinks, eats unhealthy food. (never at home). 

Please help......

21 Replies 21

N888
Community Member

Hi.

Very true, I understand what you are saying. I think she is just happy that she has a boyfriend, than she actually having feelings for him and i over heard her say to her friend that he has red flags already. That he compares her to his ex girlfriend. My daughter is still naive and immature in this area. I dont want him taking advantage of her and make her do things she is not comfortable with. As a mum you always worry. 😪

N888
Community Member

My anxiety and worry levels are really bad today. My husband said our daughter has bruises on the side of her face. I dont know how to approach her about it. Its either another love bite or he has hit her. 😢😢

I dont know what to do...im so scared. 

Im scared!! 

Why does she always attract bad scenarios or situations...why???...

What happens if he does something to her??? I will never forgive myself or what if she cant say no to him?? 

Hi N888,  Thank you for sharing this here. We hope you have found some comfort in the kindness and understanding of our lovely community members.   It sounds like you are a really caring and supportive parent, and it sounds like you’ve taken some incredibly important steps. There’s some advice here on having the conversation when someone isn’t sure they want to see a professional.   It’s so important, that while caring for your child, you are aware of your own emotional wellbeing. Please remember to reach out any time you feel you are struggling, to the Beyond Blue helpline on 1300 22 4636, or you can reach our counsellors via webchat, here.   If you'd like to have a chat with one of the lovely people at 1800Respect to discuss how your daughter and her relationship is going, and to make sure you can feel she is safe and free from abuse within her relationship, they're on 1800 737 732, or you can reach them on online chat, here: https://chat.1800respect.org.au/#/welcome   Please continue to share here, whenever you feel comfortable. You never know how your story might help others who can relate to what you’re going through.    Kind regards,  Sophie M 

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi N888,

I completely understand, you love your daughter very much and want to protect her through their life. But the sad reality is that we can’t do these things for them, everyone needs to make their own way in life and that also means making mistakes, being in not so good relationships, which then calibrate us to know what we do want in a relationship. But unfortunately if she is aware that you don’t like her boyfriend, it won’t turn her off him, in fact the added conflict will likely drive her into his arms. I personally think that you should actually do the opposite, kill him with kindness, invite him into your family, take the time and get to know him (with an open mind), not because you love him but because you also need practice with warming to her partner. You don’t want her to meet a really great guy who is perfect for her one day and you be unable to see that based on your own preexisting biases. And as I mentioned, a partner is going to be a lot less inclined to treat your daughter badly if he’s met the whole family and been invited into your home. 

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi N888,

I’m so sorry, I have just seen your latest message!! You need to talk to your daughter immediately and understand what has happened to her face and how she got the bruise. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong way to approach her in this situation, you just need to keep pushing to get the honest answer. 

N888
Community Member

Very true. But in european culture, if you bring someone home, it means you are in a serious relationship and eventually means marriage. I know its very traditional.

I found him to forward and pushy. She had love bit on her neck yesterday and i hope he isnt pushing her to do things she is not comfortable with. She is naive and immature still. He keeps comparing my daughter to his ex girlfriend. Which she cheated on him. 

19 year old boys dont want serious relationships yet!! 

N888
Community Member

I cant keep pushing for the answer. She will rebell against me and wont tell me the truth. I know deep down inside she isnt happy, she just likes the status that she has a boyfriend and fits in with everyone else. 😪

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

firstly I just want to echo the sentiments of Sophie_M.

the other thing I wanted to mention is, and I know my situation is very different to yours, but when i have had to have a difficult conversation, I either start with an disclaimer or begin with what I "see" and use empathy and "I" based communication. 

There is a lot that I have skipped over in saying the above and I know how hard these conversations. Please try not the beat yourself too much because of this. It is hard when our children seemingly go against what we try to instill them as growing up. It is a fine balance we tread as our children become adults.

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi N888

Sometimes I think it pays to teach our kids to trust their intuition, those red flags. This way, if we're not there to give them the best guidance or they want to keep us out of their business, they're able to get a really good sense of or feel for their own best guidance. Can never hurt to advise our kids in a way that may sound a little like 'Try to not doubt yourself. If you feel something's off, question it. If you feel someone's bringing you down or they're anxiety inducing to some degree, question it. And if you feel the deep need to question someone or something, don't hesitate to do so'. That could look a little something like your daughter saying to her boyfriend 'Whenever you compare me to your ex, this is something that brings me down. Why would you choose to bring me down?'. Intuition is all about feeling or feelings, so if he was to say 'I'm not bringing you down, it's all in your head', she could confidently say 'No, I know you are because I can feel it (a down shift) and I trust my feelings'.

It's funny in a way how we can condition our kids out of the deep need to question us, their parents, yet questioning people is a skill we need them to have mastered when they go out into this world. Gradually they stop questioning and, in the process, can be led to self doubt. We teach them 'Don't you question me, just do as you're told. Don't question your teachers, it's disrespectful. Don't question your boss if you want to keep your job. Don't question authority' etc. Perhaps we should be leading them, to a healthy degree, to challenge people to provide reasons for their behaviour - a reason as to why an openly degrading teacher loves destroying the self esteem of students in front of their peers, a reason as to why a highly abusive egotistical boss would treat his/her workers in such a disrespectful way, a reason as to why a person in authority chooses to lead through abuse as opposed to inspiration.

I had some red flag boyfriends in my late teens/early 20s and I wish someone had have led me to listen to and trust my feelings. I chose to focus on the excitement of the relationships while writing off those red flag feelings to there being something wrong with me. While hearing your daughter mention red flags, you know she's got basically good intuition/a feel for things. Maybe the topic of 'How to exercise your intuition' could be something you lead her to research on the internet. It's an interesting topic that she might find really fascinating. Getting touch with 'feelings' (being someone who's able to feel everything) might help with her social anxiety too.

N888
Community Member

She snuck out tonight through her bedroom window and came home at 4am. She left tbe window open all night, I heard the front door open. I didnt know she was out, didnt communicate with us. I thought she was in bed. Another arguement!!! Screaming match. Its all too much for me!!