FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Spiraling due to loss of relationship

AliC_
Community Member
Two weeks ago my boyfriend of a 1 1/2 years broke up with me. We’ve been really close friends for nearly 8 years and so loosing him has been hard. He broke up with me due to both our ongoing mental health issues (I have anxiety, depression and stress disorders). He also will no longer speak to me and his family are the same. I lived with them for the last 8 months and began to feel part of their family. Plus I have other stress factors in my life- I’m a second year university student and a recent break down of my dad and step mother’s marriage so life really feels pretty bleak right now. Any ideas for getting through this heartbreak and this spiral. I am seeing a counsellor in the next fortnight.
30 Replies 30

WaterFront
Community Member

Hi AliC,

It takes a lot of time to start feeling better after a breakup for some people and I'm sorry to hear you are still feeling this way. It sounds like you are doing the things you are supposed to do to start feeling better. You've been diagnosed with depression and the professionals around you are saying your treatment is working but you don't feel it is? Maybe you could ask them to review your treatment, change doses etc. if you are on medication.

It is so difficult to get yourself out of a negative pattern of thinking once you are in it, and yes, so exhausting to continually be in that place. I've been there. Not totally past it. One of the things that has helped me is the idea of 'mindfulness' for the want of a better word. Just essentially living in the 'now' and being present in the moment. Not thinking or worrying about the past or the future. Finding and feeling the joy in the moment. I offer this suggestion to you though you may have already tried this.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other until you get there.

WF