FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My 8 year old suffering anxiety/ sleep problems

sister_moon
Community Member

Hi All,

Was just wondering if there are others out there who have children with anxiety and sleep problems and wanting any ideas or resources that might help.

We are on a waiting list to see a child psychologist but will be a 3 month wait. As a full time single parent with very limited support I am finding it difficult to try and support and guide them through these issuse on my own. We are both just so tired.

thanks

12 Replies 12

Hi Quirky,

I have trouble both with getting to sleep and getting back to sleep if I wake up. At the moment I am using an app called headspace (just the free version) it has some "sleepcasts" that have been helping me get back to sleep. I am also thinking about trying a weighted blanket. They are expensive though... and very hard to know if I would like it before using one. I do tend to like the feeling of heavy blankets even when it is warm weather... Other than it gets too hot. Anyway I will let you know if I come up with some magic sleep solutions..... Or I will market them and make a fortune one or the other.

Good luck!

Hope you get some good rest sometime soon.

sister moon,

I have seen ads for weighted blanket on Facebook and wondered if they might help too.

I have tried so many things. I hope your daughter and you both get much needed sleep.

Quirky

Thanks Quirkywords,

My daughter is currently wide awake. Thing I have been trying to focus on a little more at the moment is filling some of my own needs so I do not blow my top. I don't think lack of sleep brings out the best in anyone. At least it is the weekend so not getting her up for school in the morning.

I did get her a weighted blanket which she rather likes it. It arrived a couple of days ago. I think I should have got a bigger size though as the kid size was correct for her weight but it is too short I forgot to check that! Doesn't seem to be a magic sleep cure for her though. I had a sneaky nap with it just over my upper body yesterday and I must say I really liked it. I would love one but they are expensive.

Hope you are getting some sleep. Take care