FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Moving from country town to city

movingkids
Community Member
I have a child with anxiety and struggle to help her as I don't understand the condition much. I have been offered work in a capital city which means moving. We tried a couple of weeks and she had a panic attack in the city centre. She has said she can't handle the city and likes the small town we live in. She did not really leave the house when in the city and she will need to change schools as well. She does SH as well. She is 13 yrs old but for me the job opportunity and increase wages is to good to pass. Will I make things worst for her forcing her the change towns and school. 
2 Replies 2

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello movingkids, this is such a difficult move, even though your wages are better, in return your expenses may also be higher, but I have done the opposite, grew up in Melb and then moved to the country, and would never move back, however your situation may be different.

It's a big adjustment for your daughter, some kids may love it, but others find it to be very stressful, however, if she is able to find a friend then she can gradually adopt to the changes as there is much more she can do in the city compared to the town where you once were.

Kids Helpline is available for her to speak with by phone, web chat or online 1800 55 1800.

Geoff.

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello movingkids,

Moving with children can definitely be difficult especially as they can struggle to understand how the good outweighs the bad. 

My family moved to a different city when I was 8 years old, away from my friends and where I had grown up. I developed anxiety as I started at my new school. I think, as a parent one of the best things you can do is just support your child. My mum walked into school every day with me and made sure I was settled before she left and was always there early to pick me up. As Geoff has said, making friends also helped me feel more comfortable. If you can help your daughter make friends that could be great as well, such as befriending parents and setting up playdates or signing her up for after school clubs and activities. 

If you can, research anxiety or ask your daughter how it feels to better understand what she's going through. Counselling and therapeutic support can also help make the transition easier.

Hoping things are well,

Beeee