FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I want to leave my husband of 9 years but I just don’t follow it through. What’s wrong with me?

Denham123
Community Member

I married this man in my early 30s, it was an arranged marriage where I was given the option to go ahead or not with the marriage. We have had lots of opportunities to break this marriage off but just don’t want to do it. Now we have a beautiful house without any children. My husband cries poor every time he’s paying bills. I stopped working in 2021 when I got sick. I was studying part time from 2014 but all the fighting throughout those years never got to finish it. So now that I’m 40, I told him, I’ve had enough. I’m not going to work anymore and focus on myself. I gave him permanent residency, and he’s now a citizen. I helped him buy a brand new car, and I also helped him build a brand new car. It’s now me time. He’s mum is like oh you should go back to work so that you can pay the mortgage. I told her straight away now that I’m 40 I feel like I’m entitled to speak my mind now. I think I have nothing to lose so don’t really care about other peoples feelings anymore. Told her to piss off as it’s now me time. Your useless son wanted a house, now he’s got it. I didnot want the house, I was not ready. He’s the most useless man I have ever come across in my entire life and I’ve had enough. He’s a good for. Thing piece of dirt. He puts everything on me to make decisions with the house, yet cries poor now that he’s managing the mortgage on his own. He can’t even build a deck. I have frozen shoulder after I got sick last year and I am getting better, but it’s slow. All he thinks about is finishing the landscape right in the middle of my final exams. I had to defer first time already as I got so sick of the stress from this new house and uni isn’t easy when you are studying engineering. I have several times thought of committing suicide, but in the end he’s going to win. I’m getting old, I’m exhausted and have a flu right now.

I told myself this is the last time I’m sacrificing my uni time. I just don’t know how to leave this marriage. I have used up my egg nest that I saved to escape from him. So I’m stuck in this brand new house with my name on this stupid mortgage. I’m not even contributing to this mortgage.

11 Replies 11

Hello Denham, I'm not sure the police will be able to help you if he wants you to stay in the house.

Have a look at the community board at uni where someone may be wanting another person to share the rent, and while you are waiting on funds with C/link you could do other duties around the house.

Sometimes deciding to move out may not be your best option, because everything you think of there could be something that holds you back, whereas if you do leave there will be shelters for you to stay at until you can make a decision.

Homeless Hotline: 1800 474 753 or Salvo, Vinnies or
'Emergency housing - CREATE Your Future
https://createyourfuture.org.au › A Place to Live' to place in your search bar as it includes different States.

Let us know how you get on.

Geoff.

Denham123
Community Member

Hello Geoff,

i don’t want to live with him. Even if if I left I won’t get centerlink because of joint savings. I don’t really want any money or the house from him. I told him to keep everything and I want to start fresh without any money from him except that $1500