FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I Need Help.

Tiah_
Community Member

Hi everyone, I've posted on here a few times before, but I ended up stopping because I felt I was in a better headspace. Telling by the fact I'm posting once again, clearly something has changed. I'm 18, and I moved back in with my mother and her boyfriend around the start of last year. I had moved away from her previously because of how strained our relationship had become. When I came back, it felt like she and I had finally started to heal. We weren't arguing half as much, she was less neglectful, and overall it just seemed like things had gotten better. That was until a few months ago. 

Around August, my mother and her boyfriend moved into a new house, and it was from here on out that things started going downhill. It wasn't bad at first, but it's to the point where I dread even coming from work. She's constantly furious with me, even when there's nothing to be mad about. Not to mention, when I get paid, she takes almost all my money. I understand that I'm 18 and need to pay my way, but $130+ every time I get paid has been so financially draining, especially when there are countless things I need to save up for but can't because the more money I make the more she wants. She doesn't have a job either, so sometimes it feels like she uses the board as an excuse for me to give her more than she needs.

I'm at the worst point I've been in a long time, and it's to the point where I'm planning on going to a local motel for a few days once I've got a bit of money saved up (nothing suspicious, I just really need some time away from her, and I have nowhere else to go.) 

I'm sorry for the long rant, and if you're reading this, thank you for listening. If anyone has any idea on how I can cope with this, please let me know!

3 Replies 3

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Tiah_

Welcome back. I'm sorry that thngs have become worse wiht you mother, I guess it is particularly bitter because before the new house you may well have had a hope  things were going to keep on improving.

Incidentally I'm not sure you have mentioned how you get on wiht the boyfriend, I'm hopeing he is not a negative influence.

Do oyu think hte new house and hte start of troubles are in any way related. I do know that mortgage rates have gown up and any financial planning using the old rates would be out of date, with more money needed.

I can quite understand how one needs to get away from a parent, at least temporarily, if they are becoming very hard to live wiht . I left mine but it worked out ok as I had osmewhere else to go to.

Going to a hotel might help a bit but not only is it expensive but you are basically on your own. You mentioed a boyfriend in the past, and you may have other friends too, perhaps from work. Would one of these lend you a couch for a few days?

Croix

Tiah_
Community Member

Me and the boyfriend have never gotten along, however the influence he has onme ow is more awkward rather than negative. The house is actually a rental.

My best friends parents dont allow people to stay the night, and I'm oit particularly close with anyone from my work. Me and my boyfriend are no longer together, he was verbally and emotionally abusive so i dropped him back in november.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Tiah~

I'm sorry there does not seem to be anyone who can take you in for a while, I have been in a hotel by myself in another state and did not enjoy it, so alone. Maybe that's just me. I do agree getting away for a while sounds a good plan.

Before you make final plans, if you have not already done so can I suggest you contact the Kids Help Line (1800 55 1800) on Phone, web-chat, texts or email). I think they are very knowledgeable and understanding. They may have some suggestions

If oyu would like to let us know how your are getting on htat would be great

Croix