FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I'm sad and stressed and scared

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello,

I didn't know where to put this. I'm looking for someone to talk to.

Long story short, the title says it really. I'm sad about a relationship break (yet again) and both sad and stressed about leaving my current job and changing career paths from a well paid office job to a zero income work-for-myself career.

I can support myself financially, I have been in the job fxor long enough to know that the corporate lifestyle is not for me, and I've been discontent in the job for long enough to know that it's time to go. I have things I can do to occupy my time like my hobby and actually planning out how to quit and change lifestyles, but especially with the break-up, I don't know if I can emotionally manage it all.

Staying for longer while I cope with the break up isn't an option. I do not want it and I'm too set on this to stop pushing ahead.

I need to leave but its f scary and I'm just mentally exhausted. Not depressed or suicidal, I just don't want to bother doing anything. It's too demoralising, repeatedly.

15 Replies 15

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear James~

While I'm sad at your situation I do take heart from the fact you know yourself so well and have a 'toolkit' of methods for handling things.

As you would appreciate we can't always steer life, so have to accommodate it. Your pushing though and contacting your friends is an excellent example of a thing to do, the fact you know you have to do it is wonderful.

Why am I praising you up? Because it might just help you deal with the inevitable fear that comes when alone, experiencing loss and facing uncertainty. I know you will deal with all that life hands you - and probably put it in a novel too.

Croix (who once admired an excellent graphical card trick in Excel)

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks Croix.

The past few days have been hard and I have caught myself wondering what the purpose of being around is, but I made it through the weekend without incident. I did a bit of cleaning and laundry and getting rid of old things from my fridge.

Isn't it funny how cleaning out other parts of our life can somehow feel symbolically like cleaning out the crap in our lives?

Maybe that's just me.

Anyway, I also tidied my garden and put things in their rightful place.

I did in fact start to do a little bit of writing and reading, and I would like to quit to be a writer, but I suspect that's a while off from now!

Thanks again

James

Quercus
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi James,

You sound fairly positive and are keeping busy. How are you feeling?

Love the sound of gardening. Just wait and you'll be a Bunnings convert in no time. What sort of plants are keeping you occupied? Gardening as therapy... Pretty sure that's a "thing" and if it's not it should be.

Hope your rabbit doesn't get into your plants. Mine (Californian crosses) are tall enough to reach up and eat all my pot plants.

Hope you are feeling ok.

❤ Nat

Hi James;

I'm sorry you're sad and stressed. Folks above have been really lovely and given solid advice which I can't really expand on. But I do have a (symbolic) anecdote that might resonate. Please bare with me as it's a bit long...

A few yrs back I decided to purchase my first home. Being a single woman in my 50's it was a pie-in-the-sky type goal. Lots of people said I was crazy, money lenders wouldn't even look at me.

I set about creating a plan similar to a business plan. I even picked up a book on it. The goal was to save enough money for a deposit, then hit the bank up for a mortgage loan. The plan involved putting my things in storage and living as frugally as I could.

So, I bought a 2nd hand caravan to do up and live in. It was decrepit, painted canary yellow and lime green inside, had nothing unbroken to sit or lay on, the tyres were bald and flat, it leaked and wasn't registered. Bit of a juiceless, seedless lemon!

I had it moved onto a lot in a caravan park, I bought paint, tools and accessories then stood in the middle of it crying like a baby.

"What have I done?!" I went back each day for a week and everyday it became harder to face.

On the last day I stood looking at that bloody yellow paint and thought; "This is it; now or never!" I picked up the paint tin, opened it and began to put the undercoat on.

That was the first day of the rest of my life James. Opening that tin led to the next step and so on. It was freezing cold, pouring with rain and I was alone without help, but I finished and it served its purpose until I sold it at a hefty profit.

I'd saved quite a few thousand $ and approached the bank. I sat with the manager without any substantive loan history, just my deposit. Thru chatting, I convinced him of my worth and he said he'd back me up; the mortgage was approved.

Because I'd been successful, my 2 sisters took the plunge and now own their first homes as well. I couldn't be prouder of them.

When life gets tough, I think of my yellow caravan and the outcome I created just by taking that first step against all odds.

You'll thrive if you want it more than anything else James, and because - this too shall pass.

Warm thoughts;

Sez xo

There
Community Member

Hi Randomx,

my thread is called ‘dealing with a cheating ex’ head on over and let me know your thoughts on trying to fight staying in and hiding all day.

J

There
Community Member

Hey James,

I like that - keeping it simple. Getting out and buying an apple. I’ll use that, thank you.

Do you find that you over think things? Any tips for combating that?

You sound like you are a very strong person James, I hope you realize that!

J