FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Husband incarcerated - trying to maintain relationships

ElleG
Community Member

My partner of 20 years has recently been arrested and charged with an offence. He is being held without bail. He has never put a toe out of line in his life, is not a violent person, barely even raises his voice. Alcohol was involved in this incident (he is not a drinker).

I and my family, our friends etc support him but he may serve a jail sentence. We have a 5 year old.

I am trying to process this all, seeing a counsellor. I am still in shock I think - I am sure that feelings of anger will come at some point. I want to know how to best maintain a marriage when one partner is away for an extended period like this. And especially when a small child is involved.

Can anyone offer any advice? Or has anyone been through something similar? I want to know there will be a light at the end of this (long) tunnel. Also appreciate any self care tips - I am struggling to eat and sleep.

Thankyou x

14 Replies 14

Guest_7403
Community Member

They do, look up new south Wales corrections website and go to the link for the remand centre he is at

It'll have it all there

ElleG
Community Member

Thank you I’ll go look for it.

I appreciate all your help with this.

ElleG
Community Member

I feel like I’m drowning.

Its been almost a month and I’ve seen him once. Other visits have been cancelled by correctives due to short staffing. I’m going out of my mind.

Guest_7403
Community Member

Fairly common practice, prisons have minimum staffing requirements and they'll take staff from non-essential posts to man essential posts.

Lots of staff sickies, leave and the costs of overtime are too much....so they stop things like visits and minimise out of cell hours etc

Blue_beige
Community Member

Hi ElleG

how are you going? I know exactly how you feel. I’m barely treading water at the moment. We’re about to go to trial after 3 years post bail and the possibility of him being taken away again is shattering