FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Has anyone had some experience on child stealing big money from you?

Alyca
Community Member

Yeah, well, the title is pretty much the gist.

I have a 15-year-old live with me, not my child, and I didn't adopt him. The reason he is here is that I live with his dad.

We had a really good and stable relationship until this 'stepson' came into our life. I think it's partially because what we had were good enough for him to think it's even better if we can get his son a feeling of 'home'.

As troubled and rebellious as he always was, we never expected him to steal.

I'm not talking about small cash here, I'm talking about thousands of dollars.

He bought himself an iPhone 12 Max 512G, pretty much the most expensive phone you can get on the market, together with some accessories with our money, costs more than $3,000. I wouldn't have that luxury myself.

I called the school because I can't figure out where that money comes from, he claimed he 'borrowed' the phone from other kids, which is obviously a lie.

He then admitted he walked into our bedroom and stole the money inside our bedside table, with the pressure of us and his teachers. And he also admitted it was not the first time he steals, mostly one ticket or two while we were out, shopping or something, without us knowing because we don't count our cash every day. And this time, I guess he just grew bolder.

I can't help but want to call the police to get them involved with this. His dad can't let me do that because that will backfire at him.

Okay, this is driving my crazy, I just can't have a thief living with me, but I love his dad and he loves me, I don't want us to get separated because of this. By the way, his dad is also really really pissed, but he didn't know what to do either.

I know kids sometimes steal, but mostly just small changes, is this even borderline crime? He is 15 after all, can't he take at least a little bit of responsibility?

10 Replies 10

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Thanks for your reply. This is a very difficult situation which needs to be addressed. Could you arrange for a counsellor or similar who speaks you step sons language (or at least has an interpretor) The aim is to show him that this is serious enough for his dad to take drastic steps. the person can then explain what the potential consequences are to this type of behaviour and the fact that you and the boys dad love him enough to want to avoid these consequences. Hopefully that will be a wakeup call to stop the stealing. Secondly I would want the councellor to find out what the underlying issue is so that can be addressed. Is the phone needed so he feels he can fit in rather than being picked on by his peers. I am unsure of who can help but you could ring a help line like beyond blue for advice as to where to turn. Good luck