FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Growing up cold

Clues_Of_Blue
Community Member

I've mentioned in my other thread that my parents weren't the warmest of people. I'm not saying they didn't care at all, but they were so, so bad at it. They modelled a lot that made the rest of the world seem alien to me. It was only toward the end of their marriage that they were fighting a lot. Other than that, I have few memories of seeing the two of them together. When they were, there was no real love there or affection. One kiss I saw, or two, between them - and that perfunctory at best. Significant signs of any kind of emotion other than the odd burst of anger between themselves or toward my siblings and I were virtually non-existent.

I was talking to my sister today about our upbringing. Neither one of us could remember a single hug from our mother, or any kind of touch at all, really. Nor could I remember a hug from Dad, though my sister was less sure. He played with us on occasion, but was usually working. We saw a lot of his back, in essence.

When I think on it, I don't really feel much of anything about it. It's a curiosity, but I think something that did a lot to shape the way I am. It wasn't until well into adulthood that I really understood that affection was a thing of importance to people outside of courtship. It seemed weird and alien receiving a hug from a friend. Relationships seemed like the only appropriate place for touching, since the media loves shoving all that kissy goo goo stuff at us and a lot less of the apparently normal affection between friends and family on other levels, and I had no experience with that sort of thing myself. I only had a couple of friends at school when my folks were still together; sisters, and their parents were quite affectionate... I honestly thought that was the abnormal thing, and it wasn't how things happen for most of us.

It seems strange to say this, knowing I have clinical depression, but I detach from emotion very easily. Though my gut may be churning and my face wet with tears, my mind is in the middle of it saying "What the...? I didn't authorise this." I'm constantly analysing, calculating, observing, and separate from what's going on. I keep wondering if this is simply my personality or a product of my upbringing. Perhaps a mixture of the two. My siblings turned out so differently to me.

I'm not really sure of the point of my ramble, here, other than to say it's not a cry for sympathy. I guess I wonder if others have been through the same, and how they turned out as adults.

24 Replies 24

Not too late, Paul; your input is always welcome. I admit, though I've spoken to you often enough, I don't know a lot about your history. Sounds like you didn't have the best start ever. I was probably lucky, comparatively, that there was in essence no real emotion around me at all. It wasn't exactly good for me, but I think anger and violence have a far more detrimental effect. I recall seeing you've suffered anxiety, and that's not at all surprising, if you were brought up in a potentially dangerous environment.

If you don't mind me making an observation, I get the feeling you take a lot on yourself. That you perhaps accepted that aggression around you as something you deserved? I say that because of not only your anxiety and depression, but because you are often quite apologetic, and because you don't seem to have taken on the trait of throwing anger all over the place, yourself; rather, you're about the threads spreading peace and love like Mr Burns after his series of life-prolonging treatments (you do remember the X-Files based Simpsons episode, I hope). Has your nature over-ridden what was modelled for you?

Yeah, Geoff was one of the lucky ones, and I'm glad he had that experience. Do you ever wonder what you'd be like if you had been brought up like Geoff? For my part, I've seen someone of my own personality type who grew up in a warmer environment, and he came out kind of soft and weak. Maybe doing it a bit tough was the right recipe for me? But it wasn't for my sister. Horses for courses, and all that.

Joelle, opened up that personality thread, now.

Hey Blues...I was the black sheep as I refused to 'tow the line' but yes there has been some collateral damage but never enough to make a stubborn Capricorn like me sit in the corner 🙂

I was starting to believe that I was the only Simpsons fan around here....Mr Burns after his series of body adjustments cracked me up.....the spine...the cracking...great stuff:-) I have been throwing my anger around for a while (verbally not physically) and I have made a couple of blunders on here so that wont happen again ( I have been told)..which is fair enough as members/new posters dont need to see that...so I have tripped and fumbled here a bit but I actually signed up in January to make a difference after losing my brother in 1982 when he checked out manually...and myself getting misdiagnosed a few times when my anxiety fired up in 1983.

Domer

I was never one for towing the line, either. Wasn't a huge deal within my family unit as there wasn't much of a line to tow, but out in the wide world, it has its challenges. There are points at which I'm just too stubborn to "go along to get along", though I'm not a Capricorn...

Definitely not the only Simpsons fan. I find there's a Simpsons quote for everything. One of my colleagues and I could communicate almost exclusively in them. "D'oh!" is frequently heard from my department.

Ah, so I came along after you made your blunders. You've obviously taken the lesson on board. Might be something worth discussing on my anger thread, maybe? A compass for new users, and for those of us who know you a bit and are interested in your journey. From what you've said, it's completely understandable that you'd struggle with managing anger. You've been through a lot that just plain sucks.

(*glows faintly green*) I bring you peace.

First time I have laughed today with Monty Burns walking out of the forest lmao....thankyou Blu:-)

Smithers to Mr Burns: "ah sir..would you still like to donate that $1,000,000 to the children's orphanage"?

Mr Burns Reply: " When pigs fly"

Pig flys by.....

Love it

Paulx

Glad I could give you a chuckle. 🙂