Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

Luttes my wife truly despises me and has no tolerance for my depression
  • replies: 14

Been reading about it for years, been diagnosed with it now, been lurking this forum and others for months, been trying to ride the tide and not drown.Now I don't know what's left. Now I believe that my wife truly despises me and has no tolerance for... View more

Been reading about it for years, been diagnosed with it now, been lurking this forum and others for months, been trying to ride the tide and not drown.Now I don't know what's left. Now I believe that my wife truly despises me and has no tolerance for my condition, for my illness. Realistically, the only thing that has stopped me from topping myself is my two boys. Aside from that, I feel like a walking, breathing curse, like I'm good for nothing. My step-daughter hates me as well and naturally has supported her mother kicking me out of the bedroom. I've tried so hard to apologise to all involved and it means nothing to any of them. I thought my meds were working, but knowing how much my wife holds me responsible for everything that has gone wrong in her life - as though I deliberately planned it - there's nothing to help me through this.The one person I want to comfort me refuses to. I can't stop hating myself.beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

Girl_Anachronism How can I forget your love?
  • replies: 10

I lost a seven year relationship, six months ago. How do you move on? How do you keep going everyday, knowing you don't want them, you don't want anyone new, but you can't stand to be lonely? When does this gaping hole in my chest stop hurting? How d... View more

I lost a seven year relationship, six months ago. How do you move on? How do you keep going everyday, knowing you don't want them, you don't want anyone new, but you can't stand to be lonely? When does this gaping hole in my chest stop hurting? How do you be lonely and accept that loneliness, accept yourself? GA

Lost_amp_Confused unhappy relationship
  • replies: 6

Hi, Im 30 and have been with my partner for just on 10 years. We are each others first relationship. Along the way we've had our ups and downs but gotten thru it mostly. I have suffered untreated depression for the last few years. We have had trust i... View more

Hi, Im 30 and have been with my partner for just on 10 years. We are each others first relationship. Along the way we've had our ups and downs but gotten thru it mostly. I have suffered untreated depression for the last few years. We have had trust issues in the past with him being unfaithful but he swears he has thought about it but never has. I have recently discovered my partner is very close with a female colleague at his work. She is married with 2 kids. He is constantly messaging her and calling her when im not around. After some snooping I have found they are chatting very chummy. Last week I overheard a hushed conversation and whispering sweetly to her. I have confronted him a few times in the last week but he is maintaining they just work together and confide in each other. He says they have 'a lot in common". Last night I confronted him again, he has been unhappy in our relationship for a while now but I never knew how much. Now he is saying he loves me more than anything but wonders if love is enough. He talks about us getting married and building a house and the future yet he is talking to this woman more than he talks to me! (or so it feels that way). He is questioning whether we have just grown apart. Our routine is very mundane as we have a lot of financial issues to deal with as well. I don't feel as tho we have grown apart, just going through a rough patch. He doesn't know what he needs to make him happy and I now confused and lost. What I thought was getting back on track seems to be going the other way for him. I have no family and no friends as we relocated interstate a few years ago and we have both found it hard to have friendships outside of work. Ive lost touch with all my friends and have no one I can talk to. I just don't know what to do. I want to fight for this man with everything ive got. I'm so scared its not going to work out I feel sick to my stomach constantly and am going insane with imagining all the things they could be doing when im not there. After 10 years of being my other half, I will fall apart completely without him. Thank you for listening.

this_too_shall_pass A story of a shattered heart
  • replies: 7

Hi all. I have recently gone through a breakup with a man who battles with depression. He said he cant be with anybody, which I can believe, but I suspect there was more. He often mentioned maybe we got together for the wrong reasons, but I never did... View more

Hi all. I have recently gone through a breakup with a man who battles with depression. He said he cant be with anybody, which I can believe, but I suspect there was more. He often mentioned maybe we got together for the wrong reasons, but I never did believe that. We would of been resentful,hurtful, or fought. We never did. He had a temper, directed at himself, & I was the only one who calmed him. He hasn't had anyone in his life that stuck by him like I did. I know he never used me, but I know he took me for granted. I also know deep down our relationship revolved around him, not us, & I gave so much of myself up to him. He has 2 beautiful girls that I became very attached to & wasn't allowed to say goodbye to them. I know I wasn't their mum but it hurt to think that he didn't care to give me the opportunity to get some closure on a big part of my existence for the last 15 months. He seems to have no grief over the separation, but then again, he always hides from emotions the deeper his depression becomes. I know for a fact my help was too much, he is a very proud man & I think I smothered him with my good inentions. We've stopped communication, at his doing because he needs space. He has called every shot in this break up & I've been understanding, yet screaming inside. As I write this, it all seems so clear cut. Pick up the pieces & move on. He cant care for you right now, let him go. What happens if you know of all this but cant do it? I am strong girl, but for some reason this has hit me so hard that I cant seem to breathe. Its been almost 2 months. I thought last week I was getting there, I got back into kickboxing, I made plans with friends, I even did the post-breakup new wardrobe shop. But I stopped for a moment, and it all came back. It guess it doesn't feel right, this break up. I would love to hear from anyone who's emotions, mind and heart hasn't seem to caught up to the reality of knowing its over. How do you get through each day? Its getting harder each day that passes. I'm not eating, I struggle to not to cry. My house looks like a tornado has gone through it twice - and I'm a neat freak. I get through each day just to go to sleep at night, which is tormented by nightmares. At what point does one get herself to the doctor? Or do I keep getting up each day with the vague hope that one day Ill get my spring back? They all say there is light at the end of the tunnel. I'm sure there is many on here who don't believe that like I don't.

help1 At a loss
  • replies: 3

I was married to my wife for 25 years, she told me in February that she wanted to separate, I was shattered. In our entire marriage we have never argued or fought. The most that happened was she would go silent (which I hated) and we would eventually... View more

I was married to my wife for 25 years, she told me in February that she wanted to separate, I was shattered. In our entire marriage we have never argued or fought. The most that happened was she would go silent (which I hated) and we would eventually talk and get on well. She has told me that she loves me very much but is not in love with me anymore. Our children are all grown up and were very surprised by what happened as we were a very good couple. I am at a total loss, I have told no one of what has happened and I don’t want to. I thought by giving my wife space so she could sought out her feelings would be best and she would realise that we were made for each other. We are very cordial to show our children that you don’t have to fight or be bitter within a problem with your relationship. To top everything off I lost my job of 33 years a few months before the separation. I am still trying to find work unsuccessfully and all I can think about is being with my wife. Everywhere I look I see couples hand in hand and being together and that was our relationship and I miss it so so much. All I want to be able to do is talk with her, however, it really is just yes and no answers and asking how our extended families are going. I wish we could just talk like we always did as I feel the more space I have given her and the more we don’t talk why would she change her mind. I will be honest and I do think of ending it daily as it will take away the pain and loneliness, the only reason I won’t is what if she rings or wants to try again. I really don’t know how much longer I can hang on.beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

guest119 10 year relationship may be coming to an end
  • replies: 2

I have been with my husband for 10 years (since I was 15). Over the years we have had some up’s and we have had some downs. He has depression so a lot of our down periods coincided with that, but also I have recently found that I have anxiety and dep... View more

I have been with my husband for 10 years (since I was 15). Over the years we have had some up’s and we have had some downs. He has depression so a lot of our down periods coincided with that, but also I have recently found that I have anxiety and depression which would of contributed to a few of our issues. In 2011 I had an affair. We ended up reconciling in December, 2011. We have been a bit rocky lately, due to me being depressed and anxious and taking it out on him. Finally over the weekend I felt like things were better, and we were ok. That was until I came home from work Sunday night and he wouldn’t talk to me. Turns out my behaviour reminded him of when I was cheating so he looked on my Facebook. He found a message I sent to the person I had the affair with in January 2012 trying to make contact. He is rightfully devastated, and feels like every moment since then has been a lie. I am trying to explain that it is not, that I made a mistake and that I love him and only him. He isn’t sure if he wants to stay together. I feel so anxious. I haven’t eaten in 24 hours. I feel like crying but at the same time I feel numb. I just don’t know what to do to make this better.

morrow feeling sad
  • replies: 1

HeyI just wanted to use this forum to talk. I do chat to my friendsbut i dont want to continue burden them with my depression. I have battled on and off with depression and anxiety all my life. Isuffered bad in my early teens, however became stronger... View more

HeyI just wanted to use this forum to talk. I do chat to my friendsbut i dont want to continue burden them with my depression. I have battled on and off with depression and anxiety all my life. Isuffered bad in my early teens, however became stronger and seemed to find positivity and happiness. This was all well and good,however I have started sinking back into my dark days again, esp at night, I cant sleep and i feel pretty low some times.Its mainly because i feel lonley. Yes i have friends, but im 31, single, never married, no kids, live alone.I try what i can to stay social, i try to get involved in the spare time i have. My main problem is i am so unlucky with love. I am such a softie. I lost my father 7 years ago, and ever since his death I find it extremely hard to deal with losing people in my life, particularly men, I feel my life just has no substance,I started medication about 5 weeks ago after yet another split with a guy. I dont know that its helping all that much. The last few days I have noticed my mind randomly fantasizing about ending my life. I havent had these thoughts since I was 14 when I was getting bullied at sschool and surprise surprise a break up with a guy.I consider my self to be a nice happy friendly girl, I dont know whats wrong with me. Why does no one see what im worth.Im over it, its just hardbeyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

Amali Extreme Anxiety Due to Break up
  • replies: 5

Hi, I broke up with my boyfriend 3 months ago. This was the second time I had to break it off because I couldn't trust him and he was emotionally manipulative. I excused a lot of his behaviour because he lost his mum to cancer and really hit rock bot... View more

Hi, I broke up with my boyfriend 3 months ago. This was the second time I had to break it off because I couldn't trust him and he was emotionally manipulative. I excused a lot of his behaviour because he lost his mum to cancer and really hit rock bottom. He was taking me for granted and I always felt he was living another life and enjoyed getting attention from other women and hiding our relationship. I have battled with anxiety due to this unstable relationship and insecurities that I formed due to it. I also suffer from pretty severe social anxiety. I had counselling last year and still went back to my boyfriend who caused a lot of pain.I have always been a ruminator and really cant understand why I'm obsessing over and still loving someone who couldn't give me what I needed. Even though his behaviour is what caused the break up, I can't help but care for him, and I struggling to see a life without him. I'm terrified of running into him, which happens a fair bit living in a small town and I just don't think I would cope seeing him with or finding out he is with someone else. I know this is probably normal for people dealing with break ups but I feel so physically sick sometimes that I cant see a way forward. I have been ignoring his texts as I know it's the only way to finally be free of him and heal properly but at the same time I have this overpowering sense of guilt for not responding as I know he still loves me and is hurting a lot. Any tips on dealing with a break up, especially when you already battle with anxiety. Thanks amali

Tex31 Feeling a sense of loss for someone I love...
  • replies: 2

Hi I'm feeling heartache and a sense of loss. I met someone a year and a half ago and we started seeing each other and it got pretty serious pretty quickly. Then he said he wasn't ready for a relationship he'd just come out of a bad one and he wasn't... View more

Hi I'm feeling heartache and a sense of loss. I met someone a year and a half ago and we started seeing each other and it got pretty serious pretty quickly. Then he said he wasn't ready for a relationship he'd just come out of a bad one and he wasn't in the right frame of mind. By that stage I had already fallen for him and he wanted to continue seeing me but left it up to me in whether i wanted to continue to see him or not as 'he didn't want me to get hurt'. Things cooled off for a while but then started heating back up again and we'd get just close again and it would go in cycles but we'd always end up back together and there was talks about 'us' and he's a bit of a thinker and would tell me he thinks about it etc. I always have a guard up and never tell or show people how i'm feeling and even though I had completely fallen for him I didn't tell him. When talks turned serious i'd joke or brush them off. I think I was just scared of how he'd react if I told him how I really felt. We were in a bit of an off cycle and didn't talk for a few weeks and I text to say hi and I was thinking of him and he wrote back and was talking about work etc and then in his next reply said he'd been seeing someone for about a month and how she was over but we could catch up another time. Without thinking I poured my heart out to him and told him how I felt about him and how I could see us being together and that I didn't push it earlier because he wasn't ready and had things going on in his life (losing job etc). I told him everything. He just said that he was speechless. I didn't want to tell him via text but it just happened that way. This was two weeks ago and I've tried to ask if to talk. I feel like it's open ended with the way he left it. Not knowing his reaction to it is making it harder to accept and move on. I also feel so much deep regret for not telling him how I felt when I had the chance. I can't help but wonder whether things would be different. Even though we weren't officially together we spent a lot of time together over the last year and a half and I really have never felt like this about anyone before. I can't tell if he wasn't interested in me or whether I could have changed things. I know he talks about settling down and i'm scared it will become serious with the new girl and that will be it. I feel like I've lost the opportunity of a lifetime and I just feel lost. I wish he'd talk to me. I just cry constantly and I can't snap out of it.

iamsotired Anxious son in London
  • replies: 3

Last year my eldest son and his wife presented me with a beautiful Grandson. They unfortunately live in London. Early this year my daughter in law returned very distressed to Australia, to stay with her Mum. My son had had an affair. I feel such sham... View more

Last year my eldest son and his wife presented me with a beautiful Grandson. They unfortunately live in London. Early this year my daughter in law returned very distressed to Australia, to stay with her Mum. My son had had an affair. I feel such shame and disbelief that a son of mine could do such a thing. It is very out of character, or so I thought. He has come out here to talk with his wife and see his son, but has returned to London. He feels ashamed. Recently on my Grandson's first birthday, I had a long and difficult conversation with my daughter in law. What she has revealed has opened so many ????? The woman he had the affair with has been very obviously chasing my son for two years. My daughter in law has even has words with her saying keep your hands off my husband. This woman works with my son in a ver stressful job. i also was inform ed that my son was anxious about their marriage, move to London, purchase of their London home and birth of their son. My daughter in law said she was tired of helping him with their anxieties, especially since he is a very poor communicator related to personal matters. My son is a brilliant finical lawyer, who was head hunted for his job. I am told that his job is his security now, he is anxious about leaving it to follow his family to Australia. But his anxiety at times is such that he will ring is wife here, at all hours. She has organised a therapist for him to see weekly and friends to drop in and check on him. i suffer from major depression, general anxiety and I am finding this whole situation over whelming if anyone has any advice, words of ..... Help