FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Ending of a 4 year relationship

Deelee
Community Member

Hi my name is Donna and I have just hit the 50 years, which I thought I would of had it together by now

I suffer anxiety and depression and a few other physical problems also

I was in a 4 year relationship with a gentleman and mainly his 10 year old daughter when cyclone Debbie hit our small town

we both lived separately but his residents got completely trashed by flood waters so I brought him and his 10 year old daughter and also his pregnant older daughter to stay with me for 3 months why there house was being fixed , it was a bit tense at times but we all manage , I went out of my way to help clean gather and rebuild what we could , which also grew extremely close to his youngest daughter in that time , when they finally got to move back to there house , after helping set everything up , applying for funds gaining washing machines beds and what ever eles was available all communication suddenly stopped

its been 3 months and I get the occasional phone call from the 10 year old

but what hurts most is she called the other day to tell me dad has been seeing another women for some time

so basically I have been heart broken and also stomped on

this man I thought was my best friend and soul mate

yet while he was living under my roof he was creating a relationship with some one eles

how does one get over that , I am waking every day with a broken heart and to think I was used as a convenience for a shelter in a storm so to speek

it is a smalll town and seeing any of them would shatter me now

I know time heels all wounds but I thought at 50 I was a better judge of character

not feeling to positive about the future

and I have never trusted many people and this makes me even more cautious

10 Replies 10

Dear Donna

I am sorry you may have breast cancer. It is quite a shock when we look and feel OK. It is a sneaky illness. Then to have constant back pain with no observable cause or treatment most certainly can drive up the anxiety. I understand about your doctor. I have been with my GP about 16 years and I dread the day she retires. She has counselled me and provided heaps of support. It is indeed a scary thought.

These are all large stressors in your life even if there was only one. Two major potential illnesses and a huge psychological hurt is hard to take and I would be surprised if there was no effect. Just had a quick look through your posts and I cannot see any mention of a psychologist in your life. I think with the worry you have it may be a good idea to have a chat with a counsellor/psychologist/psychiatrist. I know this can be expensive so why not look around for a Salvation Army counselling service near you or perhaps Relationships Australia, or any other community based service. These places do not charge, or at all in some cases.

You have a lot of grief in your life at the moment so talking to someone is very helpful. Do you work? Sometimes organisations have an employee counselling service which you go to free of charge. It is an option to explore, check the internet.

Mary