FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Can anyone else relate to this ?

Guest_423
Community Member
I am grateful for many things - there is no violence in my life, I am not living in poverty, I do not do drugs (not even cigarettes), drink excess alcohol or gamble, I can afford to pay the bills and I do have friends. I have had problems with depression and anxiety for a long time and it’s mostly due to my upbringing in a very dysfunctional family, and now there is not even one family member left, and I do not have a special man in my life either. I live by myself and as we all do I want to love and be loved. I want to feel that deep intensity for loving and being loved with at least one person. But that is not my situation and I am absolutely lost in my life because of it. I don’t know how to cope at the moment. I’ve been through this before and will get over it, but I also know it will come back.
12 Replies 12

Hi Travels and All,

Reaching out to other people can sometimes feel daunting and risky. It is wonderful when we do feel a connection of some kind, even if it is fleeting and with a complete stranger we will not see again.

I sometimes pop in to our local post office for a chat with the staff there if they do not have any other customers, even though I don't want anything. They very politely talk back to me!

Some days I try and find things to do by myself that are enjoyable. The other day I drove to a different town and had a look around. I talked tot he lady in the tourist office and strangely enough a couple came and talked to me while I was sitting on a bench reading.

I do have a husband but we have separate lives really and separate bedrooms. I sleep most nights hugging a pillow. When I think I would rather my life to be different I become quite depressed, so I try and count my blessings instead.

Sometimes it works, other days not so much. People tell me I should be thankful for what I do have. Yes I am. Maybe desiring more will also help me to improve my life in some way and be more thankful in the end for what I do have.

I don't have the courage to leave and start again, so to those of you who are bold enough to do so, well done to you!

Cheers all from Dools

Guest_423
Community Member
It has my attention that someone I know has identified me on this forum and has been tracking my posts. I consider this a huge breach of my privacy and is very, very hurtful. This person needs to take a very long, hard look at themselves. I will be closing this account as soon as possible.

Dools reading some of your posts to other people giving such wise and supportive feedback seems in complete contrast to the Dools who replied to my post. It’s mystifying. I wish you all the best.